Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Why We Should All Use The Dealer Network For Shipping Firearms

Why We Should All Use The Dealer Network For Shipping Firearms

Just talking with an older gun guy locally - he had sold a rifle to another person who lives in a distant part of the North Island .

Hunting and Fishing New Plymouth wanted $70 to ship store-to store , then the receiving store wanted $30 and to open the parcel and record the contents .

Consequently the purchaser is road tripping this weekend to collect his gun.....

The guy I was talking to wasn't aware of the dealer network , but he sure is now!
    grunzter likes this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

I wonder if his fuel and running costs plus say $20 per hour will work out at LESS than the hundy it was going to cost.......
    we live 30 kms from Timaru ,we bought a double mattress and it cost $50 to get it delivered...there is no way we could go in and collect it for less than that if you take our time into it...and would need to finish work early to do so..

what price do you put on a road trip ? I enjoy road trips most of the time and would definately do a trip rather than pay Clothing and Fishing a cent of my money.

Its a day out and differant scenery.Thats enough to justify the cost for a lot of folk.
    sneeze, tetawa, rugerman and 9 others like this.

eye balling buyer or seller personally would be reason enough for me.
    xtightg likes this.

I'd happily use the Firearms Dealer Network again. I had a rifle sent up from Chch to the Kapiti Coast. The seller only had to walk across the road to drop it off, and I could pick it up 2 minutes from my house. Everyone involved was happy on that aspect.
    Total cost to ship was $30, which was the actual cost of the courier.
    And as a bonus, I got to check out what one of the local dealers had knocking around in their shop.
    timattalon and xtightg like this.

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I wonder if his fuel and running costs plus say $20 per hour will work out at LESS than the hundy it was going to cost.......
    we live 30 kms from Timaru ,we bought a double mattress and it cost $50 to get it delivered...there is no way we could go in and collect it for less than that if you take our time into it...and would need to finish work early to do so..
    A few missing bits of information in your post old Chap as fuel and running costs are only two parts of the "cost".PROFIT " is the third
    1...Did you buy your double mattress from a commercial retailer in Timaru or Joe Bloggs who listed it on trade Me / Faeces Book.? If from the commercial seller, then he will have low low rates as a result of nationwide discounts for bulk sticker deals s with the courier. If from our mate Joe, well he gets rorted like the rest of us by the courier..another word starting with C. But then of course you don't tell us if it was a trucking company......who won't deliver nasty rifles.
    2.. Can you recognise the difference in size between a double mattress and a rifle?

So , perhaps it would be wiser not to compare apples with elephants?.........Wotcha fink"
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

well actually it is the same...I have car trailer so could as easily have picked it up as a box of tiddly winks...
    the running costs for my wagon would be just about the same..
    yes the retailer did the delivery in his van...as said I was more than happy to let him do it for $50
    weather or not that ate into his profit from selling the mattress is irrelevant,the actual delivery cost is the same.
    trucking companies wont deliver rifles???? hells bells I remember delivering(well actually unloading off one truck into another to be delivered) a whole pallet load into gunshitty Timaru...

Does anyone know if its actually illegal to send a firearm through NZ Post? I know NZ Post has a policy to not ship firearms but is that only a policy?

Quote Originally Posted by oxfarmer View Post
    Does anyone know if its actually illegal to send a firearm through NZ Post? I know NZ Post has a policy to not ship firearms but is that only a policy?
    its against their terms and conditions and is on their prohibited items list. In fact anything collectable is not allowed as is a heap of other items you would never consider.
    Possibly not illegal, but if it goes missing, then there is no comeback as its on a list of stuff they wont transport. They wont compensate if its lost.
    That's my understanding anyway
    tetawa likes this.

I've used the dealer2dealer network twice in the last month. Separate dealers. Prices were fair but considerately different.

I then purchased a couple of extra items to boot. Cleaning equipment and some projectiles. Its alot better than dealing thru others in my opinion.

I would use the dealer network if they were all actually set up to be a part of it, but some listed dealers didn't actually have any way of shipping firearms still. In the end Mainfreight would take it for me.

Dealer to Dealer is as easy as once you have the Fastway side of it sorted, which isn't that difficult

I have received and sent firearms by the dealers network, piece of cake and a good price. Some areas seem to have very few dealers though.
    tetawa likes this.

What sort of time period does this take? Going to be shipping from chch to invercargill, couple of days? What sort of paperwork? Just show licence at drop pff and pick up?

no - you need the normal Police Mail order paperwork - the sending dealer needs a copy of that paperwork , which he sends with the firearm to the receiving dealer.

Once the mail order paperwork is in hand it should only take 3-4 days , a week at most. Pays to advise the receiver in advance that its coming , too
    tetawa likes this.