Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wilding Pine (Contorta)

Caretaker

Wilding Pine (Contorta)

An excellent read and I hope to see this pest eradicated in my lifetime.

http://www.wildingconifers.org.nz/fi...s%20Report.pdf

Is anyone in the know about a Contorta specific herbicide?, I see a lot of sprayed Contorta in the Kawekas but am unsure of how ongoing the spray programme is.
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 02-08-2012 at 10:53 AM.

sturg4
    Interesting isnt it '7mm' We had 2 gangs of Ranger Trainees join us in the winter of 71 and we spent a month or more planting contorta and silver poplar all over the slips in the Ruahinesfor the NZFS

It was about this time that the contorta plantings were done in the Kawekas.

Our Field Officers at the time warned that these plants were going to be the worst weed in the Forest...Interesting that it was at this time when they first started with their first began experimenting with 1080 in the Ruahines...It was obvious that the same sort of thinking was starting to pervade Head Offices all around the country...Lets ignore the long term dangers and try for the quick fix.

Caretaker
    Contorta is definately the east Kawekas worst weed, its almost covered the historic "clover patch" at the end of Southern Birch range.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Contorta is definately the east Kawekas worst weed, its almost covered the historic "clover patch" at the end of Southern Birch range.
    We were up there putting radio collars on Kiwi a few years ago in the winter and it rained most of the time. What a ugly, rain holding. snow catching, leg ripping, eye poking bitch of a tree that contorta is.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    We were up there putting radio collars on Kiwi a few years ago in the winter and it rained most of the time. What a ugly, rain holding. snow catching, leg ripping, eye poking bitch of a tree that contorta is.
    Yes it would be great to have it eradicated.

Yep its a scourge on the landscape alright.
    While we haven't got anywhere near as bad as you guys up north we certainly have Douglas fir invading the tops quite badly in some spots.
    I make a point of pulling out any I can and chopping down others in one of my spots, the other side of the range is already to far gone and needs spraying.
    different situation up there where they were deliberately planted(as were some places here)
    But where they were never planted and are spreading from forestry why are the forestry company's not held accountable for control of this noxious plant.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    An excellent read and I hope to see this pest eradicated in my lifetime.

http://www.wildingconifers.org.nz/fi...s%20Report.pdf

Is anyone in the know about a Contorta specific herbicide?, I see a lot of sprayed Contorta in the Kawekas but am unsure of how ongoing the spray programme is.
    Bore a hole with the drill into the trunk, using a syringe, give it 10mls neat Roundup Transorb...works an absolute treat...!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Interesting isnt it '7mm' We had 2 gangs of Ranger Trainees join us in the winter of 71 and we spent a month or more planting contorta and silver poplar all over the slips in the Ruahinesfor the NZFS

Our Field Officers at the time warned that these plants were going to be the worst weed in the Forest...Interesting that it was at this time when they first started with their first began experimenting with 1080 in the Ruahines...It was obvious that the same sort of thinking was starting to pervade Head Offices all around the country...Lets ignore the long term dangers and try for the quick fix.
    No, it was the impressions of the Swiss hills with its beautiful cover of coniferous trees holding up the mountains that swayed those in the decision making processes of the time...yes, we need pinus to cover the hills and hide the erosion, that will work and lo, it came to pass that the most idiotic, misguided, incredibly stupid, grossly money wasting concept was born...and the sins of the fathers shall be visited upon the neverending generations....

Lodge pole pine has such a romantic twang to it...known by its family name Pinus contorta it reeks somehow...

They have been posining wilding pines here for a few years now.It was done on foot with chopper suport but they are just spraying them from the chopper now.
    Not much of a day for long distance photos . There is private forestry on both sides of the dead ones in the pic .
    Name:  P8040002.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  289.2 KB
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

Caretaker
    Good pic, just needs a clearing with some targets on it.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Sorry Mate my mistake.
    Name:  PA310129.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  393.6 KB
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

Caretaker
    You beauty
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    They have been posining wilding pines here for a few years now.It was done on foot with chopper suport but they are just spraying them from the chopper now.
    Not much of a day for long distance photos . There is private forestry on both sides of the dead ones in the pic .
    Attachment 2412
    I have a friend who lives on a boat in Picton (a clever old buggar) who has patented a 12 gauge cartridge that fires a solid slug that is loaded with a powerful chemical like paraquat. This is fired into the trunk of a wilding pine from a hovering helicopter penetrating the bark and the cambium layer of the tree before disintergrating and allowing the chemical to do its job on the tree. I have seen pictures of the dispersal effect of this red dyed chemical when the log has been dissected with a chainsaw it was impressive.

Your good friend Billy R told your boss when you were planting that shite it was going to be the worst eco disaster in NZ.Bill was told he did not know what he was talking about.Typical no one i.e. the bureaucrats are ever held responsible for their tortious acts.A case in point is the complete fuck up by some drongo in MOT years ago to change the right hand rule.How long did it take before even overseas people told us WTF. Hopefully we will follow the lead in Finland and USA to pull down hydro dams not only because of the eco risk of dam failure but also because of the cost of repair and maintenance.