Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

Have 8.1 keep getting this message to upgrade to 10 etc, should I , is it better?
    What do the IT guys here think please ?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Have 8.1 keep getting this message to upgrade to 10 etc, should I , is it better?
    What do the IT guys here think please ?
    If you only have one machine I'd leave it for now. I'm going to load it up on a test machine soon, just setting it up.
    Pengy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Have two laptops in the home, both fairly new
    concerned that it might be good but the free upgrade will expire before I realise it.

Thanks gadgetman be interested in what you think

The offer is there for a year. If you want to download it but don't install it. Leave it for someone else to iron the bugs out first.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Excellent idea .

My PC supplier recommended leaving it for a couple of months in which time some (not all!) of the bugs will be removed and more hardware drivers will be available. I made the mistake of installing Win 8 as soon as it was available but had to go back to Win 7 straight away as neither of my 2 printers had drivers available at that time. Classic mickysoft - iron out the rough edges/deficiencies on the run, piss people off.

Got it on a Surface Pro at work. Awesome no probs!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Spyware.
    Eh ?

Ok same platform as windows 7/8. Now has the windows 7 menu look, for those that don't like the win8 tablet look icons. Lots of networking, cloud fixes and slimlining.
    Very big brotherish feed back to Microsoft making it hard for those that don't want to pay for their software. But easier to fix bugs and security issues in realtime.
    Like all new operating system changes, we all don't want to change, but we do eventually. Those that want to wait and see will, and those that want to keep up with the Jones will already have paid for it, and running it proudly.
    I'm going to wait for my free upgrade to download.
    I have had it running it on a core2duo 3ghz system (Tester) using the Microsoft's Insider program for the last 3 months.
    When I first installed it, I was blown away when I set up my email (Hotmail) account on the tester and the tester was a clone of my Win8.1 desktop layout.

I'm planning to wait a few months while they iron a few bugs out. Made the mistake of jumping from 8 to 8.1 too early and had a few issues resulting from that.

I updated my Win8.1 machine to Win10 the day it was available.
    I LOATHE Win8.1

So far - Win10 is nice. Feels a little like it was designed for dummies, and has some sneaky settings that are hidden away during the install.
    Tiny tiny writing saying "customize" when you're running it for the first time. Allows you to disable lots of location tracking/password sharing stuff.

Loving it tho. Just pay attention.
    Cyclops and Aly like this.

Aly
    I'm still aggressively and persistently on Windows 7. I hated 8 so much I've refused to get a new laptop even though my current one keeps dying. 10 will be pretty fast to run though.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    My PC supplier recommended leaving it for a couple of months in which time some (not all!) of the bugs will be removed and more hardware drivers will be available. I made the mistake of installing Win 8 as soon as it was available but had to go back to Win 7 straight away as neither of my 2 printers had drivers available at that time. Classic mickysoft - iron out the rough edges/deficiencies on the run, piss people off.
    hardware companies have had a very long time to update drivers for win10 due to the testing regime thats been in place. if they have not adapted by now they need to stop slacking off.

Windows 10 is little more than a UI update for Windows 8 with some small extras behind the scenes, Even when windows 8 came out most things still worked fine if you just changed the compatibility settings to run as windows 7.
    Have been testing 10 for months on their Windows insider Beta testing program.
    Am currently testing Windows Phone 10 which has finally fixed all the annoying parts of my Lumia

Don't be afraid to upgrade even though it's new, the rest of the world has