Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Work boots causing knee issues

Work boots causing knee issues

Random question but something I want to get on top of. I'm around 10 years into my building career and find nothing at the end of the day hurts more than my knees. Recently after shoulder surgery and 3 months out of the work boots I noticed knee pain was gone, within a week of wearing the trusty John bulls it was back again. I spoke to the physio who said they cause issues due to transferring load to the knees. Question is, does anyone know of a work boot that can help with sore knees, or a lightweight boot as such (steel toe) will happily pay whatever to be in comfort 9+ hours a day.

I went to Andrews, not cheap but have lasted more than double as long as any john bull/oliver/blundstone I have had before. Bonus perhaps for you is chainsaw snag protection.
    Not a light boot tho they are a heavy stiff boot.
    cameronjackwhite likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

gri sport rangers for me, with new gel inner soles and Change boots yearly or as soon as they are a bit stuffed

if your talking work boots i use blundstone slip ons they suit my feet and posture ill even wear them out after work as they are probably the most comfortable shoes i own other than red bands

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Random question but something I want to get on top of. I'm around 10 years into my building career and find nothing at the end of the day hurts more than my knees. Recently after shoulder surgery and 3 months out of the work boots I noticed knee pain was gone, within a week of wearing the trusty John bulls it was back again. I spoke to the physio who said they cause issues due to transferring load to the knees. Question is, does anyone know of a work boot that can help with sore knees, or a lightweight boot as such (steel toe) will happily pay whatever to be in comfort 9+ hours a day.
    Hey mate, I have been though a simular thing with boots and my back(2 back operations and a knee op). Working on concrete floors all day is hard on the joints.
    After many years of using basic inner soles to help correct pronation I finally dropped some real coin and saw my local podiatrist and got custom inner soles. They have made a big difference to the work day, have reduced fatigue and the joint pain. I think they were around $400 which sounds like a lot but definitely worth it. When I poke them in my hunting boots and go for a mission I definitely feel like I can do a longer day without getting as tired.
    I have tried heaps of different steel cap boots but I don't think weight is your problem, I reckon it is support.
    I have just tried boonies for work and they are awesome. Not sure how they will go in summer as they are a warm boot. (Not sure if they come steel capped)
    Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.
    ethos, Woody and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Hey mate, I have been though a simular thing with boots and my back(2 back operations and a knee op). Working on concrete floors all day is hard on the joints.
    After many years of using basic inner soles to help correct pronation I finally dropped some real coin and saw my local podiatrist and got custom inner soles. They have made a big difference to the work day, have reduced fatigue and the joint pain. I think they were around $400 which sounds like a lot but definitely worth it. When I poke them in my hunting boots and go for a mission I definitely feel like I can do a longer day without getting as tired.
    I have tried heaps of different steel cap boots but I don't think weight is your problem, I reckon it is support.
    I have just tried boonies for work and they are awesome. Not sure how they will go in summer as they are a warm boot. (Not sure if they come steel capped)
    Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.
    Yep had very similar issues. Get to a podiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    if your talking work boots i use blundstone slip ons they suit my feet and posture ill even wear them out after work as they are probably the most comfortable shoes i own other than red bands
    problem is that slip ons are banned from allot of sites. you can have lace up/ zip up or speed laced but try to get on build sites with a slip on and you will be banned until you come back with something else

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Are your John Bulls slip on or laces, a lot of slip on wearers don't walk properly as the boots tend to flip flop causing problems further up the leg...use laced boots and use the laces for what they were designed for.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

As GKP said, I would start by going to see a podiatrist and get custom made formthotic insoles....
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Are your John Bulls slip on or laces, a lot of slip on wearers don't walk properly as the boots tend to flip flop causing problems further up the leg...use laced boots and use the laces for what they were designed for.
    Can I add to this good advice above, to make a conscious effort to watch your foot placement while walking and see if you have developed an unbalanced gait.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

got same problem have to get new boots every 4 months those john bull are rubbish but thats what work supply. try blundstone i used to use lace up ones and was getting 2 years plus out of them but i hear they are owned now by john bull.

SiB
    I wear Blundstones. The new pair I got were definitely not quite same quality as previous pair but they’re still ok after 6 months

I’d definitely recommend you see a podiatrist re gel inners. I upgrade mine always and we’ll worth it

The other matter is your socks. Are you wearing a decent wool sock and the correctly sized boot?

And finally- how much extra weight are YOU carrying around your tummy? I find my hips play up if my weight gets too high..

blue steel are supposed to be good...I found blundstones really hard on feet and legs compared to john bulls,not as much spring/padding in soles..
    I actually wear ashley lace up gummies at work but are a truck driver so spend lots of time on my arse....the boots great when out in wet muddy gateways etc.

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, I run John bull slip ons but am happy to hurl them out the door if need be. I always run a thick quality woolen sock, sitting slightly too heavy by about 7kg after my surgery recovery but am getting on with that job now! That being said I've always had the knee pain even when lighter. Gonna take the podiatrist Avenue asap, $400 is peanuts if it lessens the knee pain. Might try lace up boots also as the slips.ons tend to get sloppy once worn in

ive found glucostamine helps mine as well