Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would it be rude to ask to borescope a rifle in a store.

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

14 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 3 Post By zimmer

Thread: Would it be rude to...

Fulla

Would it be rude to...

If buying a new rifle from a store would it be rude to ask to look into the bore with a borescope?
    Has anyone asked to do it, and what was there response?
    I say from a store as I believe a private guy would say yes unless he knows something is wrong. Otherwise he would most probably loose a buyer.

Caretaker
    Opening a can of worms there, better off to test fire it and borescope at your leisure whilst test firing.

Who would you use thats been formally and experientially educated in interpreting accurately any results observed ?
    BRADS and shift14 like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Fulla
    After you have looked at a few you get an idea, and could rule out anything excessive. We all know scoping a bore doesn't always mean much. But it may put the odds in your favor.
    It's a pain to get a rifle, set it all up shoot everything under the sun to justify a dud. Send it back and go through the warranty process to hope they rule in your favor.
    I've thought more about it, if I was the store owner...
    If it makes the guy happy go for it. Like I said, scoping a bore doesn't often mean much. And if he's happy I might get the sale.
    But I guess it depends on the guy if he's rude enough to ask or willing to take offence.

Was in a shop the other day using my borescope for a mate who was contemplating a purchase. If a shop is unhappy for you to do that I would suggest that they may have something to hide.
    I perceived that they were "uncomfortable" with me having one but kept out of our way and let us look thru several rifles. Some stores may have bore scopes but if you ever ask if they do they mostly say no. No different to getting a mechanic to do a full pre purchase check on a motor vehicle methinks. And yes there is some skill required around interpretation but obvious defects like badly pitted rifling is something most can identify. BTW looked down the bore of a stunning European 222Rem and the barrel was as bad as anything I have seen. Great shame. Same time I looked down the bore of another quality European in 8x57. The rifle showed signs of a lot of carrying wear and numerous dings to the woodwork - the barrel was absolutely perfect. Just goes to show that you cannot judge by the outside appearance.
    P38, bully and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Opening a can of worms there, better off to test fire it and borescope at your leisure whilst test firing.

Who would you use thats been formally and experientially educated in interpreting accurately any results observed ?
    Yeh sorry my answer was based on the fact that I know what to look for. If someone inexperienced just lobbed in it could all get messy if they are going to use their
    "interpretation" to argue down the value of the rifle for sale. Eg most Savage Target rifles have rough looking barrels (bearing in mind Hawke Eye bore scopes magnify at around 30x so you need to keep what you see in perspective) yet most of the ones I have been associated with shoot like demons.