Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan

Thread: WWII US Dog Tags

R93

WWII US Dog Tags

I was given a set of these blank tags by a Wontok last night that he found near an old US Marine base, on one of PNG's outer islands.
    He found the stamp tool along with a few sets of tags. I could probably get the tool as well if I wanted.

I was wondering if anyone new if they had value or better yet, where I could get them appraised.
    Do not want to sell them as they were a gift but thinking of maybe having my service details engraved on them.
    They are different to current issue tags as they have an indentation (Not sure for what purpose)on the bottom.
    They appear to be made of copper.
    He has all sorts of other WWII US issue gear as well but is cagey letting me know what. He did say he has a lot of weapon parts etc.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If he happens to stumble across an m2 barrel, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I was given a set of these blank tags by a Wontok last night that he found near an old US Marine base, on one of PNG's outer islands.
    He found the stamp tool along with a few sets of tags. I could probably get the tool as well if I wanted.

I was wondering if anyone new if they had value or better yet, where I could get them appraised.
    Do not want to sell them as they were a gift but thinking of maybe having my service details engraved on them.
    They are different to current issue tags as they have an indentation (Not sure for what purpose)on the bottom.
    They appear to be made of copper.
    He has all sorts of other WWII US issue gear as well but is cagey letting me know what. He did say he has a lot of weapon parts etc.
    @R93 USMC, USN and the Merchant Marine used oval tags. These are either US Army or US Army Air Force tags.

Initially, dog tags of the for all branches of the armed services were fabricated from a trademarked alloy called "Monel." Monel was produced by the Special Metals Corporation and was composed of up to 67-percent nickel, with the remainder consisting of copper, iron, and manganese.

Due to the rapid mobilization of personnel into the armed forces and the increased production in war materiel that followed the attack on Pearl Harbor, shortages of metals soon developed. As a result of these shortages, the supplier simply could not keep up with the demand for dog tag blanks fabricated of Monel. The armed forces solved this problem by utilizing either brass or stainless steel in the fabrication of dog tags—a practice that continued throughout the remainder of the war.

As for the purpose of the notch:

"The Model 70 "Addressograph" was a pistol-type imprinting machine used by the Medical Department during WWII. Its function was to transfer the wounded soldier's identification information directly from his dog tags to his medical records (see above graphic). The notch in the dog tag would align and hold the tag securely in the "Addressograph". First the dog tag was inserted into the imprinting machine. After the medical document was aligned in the "Addressograph", the trigger on the imprinting machine was pulled and the information on the dog tag was transferred to the medical document through the ribbon of carbon paper located inside the "Addressograph".

Given that the were hundreds of thousands of these tags issued, I'd say that they have no value - particularly as they are blank. If they were stamped with General Macarthur's details well...

Sources:

http://usmcwwiidogtags.com/about.html
    https://www.armydogtags.com/a_PurposeNotch.php
    stingray likes this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".