Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baz

Yo sparkies and electricians, can you get

Can you get or source and supply 15amp RCD breakers that 'plug in style' (can't recall the correct terminology)

Require them to make full use of a 16amp supply input for a caravan situation.

The max we can currently run is 10amps. as the only RCDs off the shelf are 10amp or 16amp. Supply RCD cannot be the same as power point RCD

Any info on where we can find them, of if someone here can supply them. muchly appreciated.

Cheers

SiB
    Talk to a caravan supplier. This must be a common issue?

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    I am puzzled as to what you actually want as you say you want a 15 amp but can only get 10 and 16 amp off the shelf.
    You also mention "plug in" but do not say what sort of plug. flat 3 pin, reyroll or ?

Is this what you seek?.........

15amp Residual Current Device | ELPR1950 | Topmaq/Agricultural/Electrical/Electrical Cables | TopmaQ
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

You can get off the shelf at any Electrical wholesaler an adaptor lead which is configured with a 10 amp male three pin plug to plug into a normal powerpoint and has an in line RCD with a 16 amp female caravan plug on the other end .Or a short adaptor lead with a 16 amp male caravan plug with inline RCD to a 16 amp female caravan plug .No matter which configeration you go for they are bloody expensive $200 trade .Like kiwisapper I am puzzled as to what you are trying to do though as if you plug into a household powerpoint they are only generally rated at 10 amps even though the circuit breaker may be 16 amp and if you drag 16 amps through it it will probably melt down

Baz
    Nope not them, as I said can't recall the correct terminology for them, but a 15amp of this picName:  deta.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  145.6 KB

Apparently they are around somewhere. My sparkie who goes through J A Russell said they cannot get them.

The old bastard is correct Go to ideal Electrical and it has a 10amp plug input, 10amp MCB in the middle and 16amp outlet for your caravan, if you pay cash you can put it thru my trade account. PM me and I can set it up for you from here
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thats just a plug in Circuit breaker not an RCD breaker .Mitre ten have them ,I have an account at JAR and they do have them here in Whiti-City on the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bastard View Post
    Thats just a plug in Circuit breaker not an RCD breaker .Mitre ten have them ,I have an account at JAR and they do have them here in Whiti-City on the shelf
    Correct but I think these are RCD as well would have to check,
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

If it was a RCD breaker (RCBO) it would have the symbols and RCD trip current etc on it ,it would also have to have 2 blades at the top and two at the bottom to monitor the phase and neutral of the circuit .It would also require a different base .I personally have never seen or heard of a plug in RCBO .Not saying it doesnt exist

Baz
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  537.1 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  520.4 KB

Sorry to confuse everyone, Just checked the actual board and took a photo. need 15amp ones where the 10 amp ones would go.

Any ideas? the 10amps cannot be replaced with 16amp (same as supply) as it will not get an electrical WOF

Can it be done?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    There are special regs for caravans. This is inside the caravan? as in the circuit breaker board. If the MCBs are rate 10A this is in relation to the cables run in the caravan not what is available. If you run 16A in 1.0mm (10A) cable you're going to catch on fire.

SiB
    If you're changing the circuit breaker and it's on an old board, ie ceramic or Bakelite bases with exposed terminals, spend an extra $10 and buy a proper base n have a sparky install. Then you're totally kosher. I just did my board up on my holiday house

SiB
    Ignore previous new board

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bastard View Post
    If it was a RCD breaker (RCBO) it would have the symbols and RCD trip current etc on it ,it would also have to have 2 blades at the top and two at the bottom to monitor the phase and neutral of the circuit .It would also require a different base .I personally have never seen or heard of a plug in RCBO .Not saying it doesnt exist
    I stand corrected MCB only, but if he used this with a 16 amp RCD on the board it would give 10 amp protection to the circuit?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    There are special regs for caravans. This is inside the caravan? as in the circuit breaker board. If the MCBs are rate 10A this is in relation to the cables run in the caravan not what is available. If you run 16A in 1.0mm (10A) cable you're going to catch on fire.
    Powerpoint wire is 2.5mm