Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Are you more prepared for Zombies than a natural disaster?

Are you more prepared for Zombies than a natural disaster?

Well that was in the paper today.
    Reading an article on the 2004 tsunami it made comment that most of us are more prepared for a zombie apocalypse than a natural disaster!

…My wife looked at me, and I smiled, thinking I have a few bottles of water and a few cans of beans around... don’t think that was what she was thinking about…

Name:  20141221_121718.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  297.5 KB

Well, My 12g is powerful, But I doubt It would be able to shoot a tsunami into submission. A tsunami of zombies however...
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

I believe @gimp is a big Zombie fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dirtyhabit likes this.

Never mind @grunzter you have allies here...nephew has been hammering that gully up the back with an AR10...I think it is dead.
    grunzter likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I am probably a little under prepared for both, probably scrape up 1500 rounds of 22lr, chest freezer reasonably full of food and generator to keep it frozen, varios non electric cooking devices, no stored water but there is a creek down the street, goats, cats,weka etc across the street from me. Winter would not be nice as I always said I would never live anywhere without a fire yet here I am with two heat pumps and no fire.
    Probably should have a decent stock of dry stores but whenever I try that it gets eaten and not replaced.
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

The cheap alternative is one of those Wharewhare cast iron single burner rings for $30 and always keeping a 9kg gas cylinder full - if you only use them for cooking they last for ages

As for general level of preparedness we all have our hunting gear - if you keep a daypack with essentials then that's the bag ya grab if you've gotta go at short notice..

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I am probably a little under prepared for both, probably scrape up 1500 rounds of 22lr, chest freezer reasonably full of food and generator to keep it frozen, varios non electric cooking devices, no stored water but there is a creek down the street, goats, cats,weka etc across the street from me. Winter would not be nice as I always said I would never live anywhere without a fire yet here I am with two heat pumps and no fire.
    Probably should have a decent stock of dry stores but whenever I try that it gets eaten and not replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    The cheap alternative is one of those Wharewhare cast iron single burner rings for $30 and always keeping a 9kg gas cylinder full - if you only use them for cooking they last for ages

As for general level of preparedness we all have our hunting gear - if you keep a daypack with essentials then that's the bag ya grab if you've gotta go at short notice..
    Yea I have a two burner one of them, and a two burner camp cooker and a big bbq and a portable bbq 3 gas bottles a couple of tramping/hunting gas cookers and canisters one of those "the stove" gas cookers everywhere sells and a heap of canisters ,a thermet and probably some other cooking gear too
    Oh and at the moment Munseys 3 burner camp cooker and bottle.

Would be a while before I HAD to light a fire to cook.
    308 likes this.

I think Grey Ghosts are more of a threat than Zombies
    We live more than 8m above the waterline so safe from the big wave. Plenty of fresh water nearby. Food to feed a small African village. Sitting here and waiting for it

I will bite...Whats a Grey Ghost ?

Also I have a full roll of tinfoil hats so they cant read my thoughts from space.... a good one I herd of recently is to freeze 10 to 20lt of water in your chest freezer - keeps your goods frozen a bit longer and is a good source of clean COLD water.

Was working out in the wops a while ago and thought I'd better use up some of my Equake stuff and replace it (seems it has a shelf life) - tasted like ass but I was thirsty, also learnt from the feb one boiled water takes for ever to cool down in summer and sucks the fat one...

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    The zom'pies thing doesn't worry me( the dead eatting people etc) but after having lived in guinea for a year, and a couple of other interesting places, things like ebola and just general stuff like earthquakes and big waves, have got me thinking a bit more about generators and food in the cupboard, for bad days....
    Also having kids really brought it to the fore.
    Guns are great and fun, but in nz having 10,000 rounds for the zom'pies i dont think is needed. How ever having some tucker and cooking/heating means is a good thing.
    Funny thing is that basic cooking skills ( making bread, usings onions and meat to make a tasty meal, cooking spuds/rice, knowing carbs, protien plus vit's make a meals, etc...) is actual a life skill - plus meat comes from animals, blood is real,tv is shit, etc.....
    Oh and a few bottles tucked away in a crush proof box also( stress relief, pleasure, sleep medicene, etc.. ( piss rant/ talk over)
    veitnamcam and grunzter like this.

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Oh and whats a gray ghost?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Oh and whats a gray ghost?
    you didn't see it coming?
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

We have a survival pack. 100l container of food, all the camping gear including gas cookers etc, three 20l containers for water that I'll full from our water tanks and it came in useful and actually saved us in the major disaster two years ago. Fortunately the Mrs had packed two large jars of marmite.

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    you didn't see it coming?
    I thought that was a term given to some of our troops in Vietnam by the VC. They were a little quieter than the Yanks when on patrol, they just appeared, attacked, then disappeared. If not then it was something very like it. Was in an interview with ex VC in a doco a few years back.
    Savage1 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!