Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: you sacked

Impure Lead Flinger

you sacked

Now its not my first and it probably wont be my last time sacking some prick...

But at the end of the day some guys just dont fit in our wee family on the boat....

Its alot of time to spend living in tight quarters with someone you dont get on with....

Now sacking always has and always will be hard.... I tell ya what, theres nothing worse than having to tell a grown man that your gonna have to let him go.... Its the worst when they have got family to support.. But its a tough world out here....

Now in my tenth year ive been skipper ive sacked 3 people in that time....
    Tomorrow is gonna be the fourth and really not looking forward to it...

R93
    As you said tho, its a family on the boat and if you dont fit in and get along it gets hard. It can also be dangerous in your line of work. Good luck.

I hear you Bob, know where you are coming from.......................Kia kaha!
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    I hear you Bob, know where you are coming from.......................Kia kaha!
    Were you in 2nd/1st BT?

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    As you said tho, its a family on the boat and if you dont fit in and get along it gets hard. It can also be dangerous in your line of work. Good luck.
    It can be dangerous, I mean ya dont have to be best friends but ya have to get on.... Bit unfortunate when they a bloody good worker...

God u wudnt beleive how hard it is to find 5 guys that can handle the work and get on.. Theres always someone tipping the balance...

I had to let someone go 2 months ago. It was really hard like you said, but the team is functioning a lot better now and there is a far more positive feel about the farm. I wish I had done it 6 months earlier when the problems started!

Best of luck Adam
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Better let him go , better than the, he must have got up for a ciggy in the night and fallen overboard trick .

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Rather you than me Adam but fishing is no 9-5 job. You have to live with the guy 24/7 and there nothing worsse than a perminant 3rd wheel. I've seen boats come in here where the cops were waiting on the dock as fellas that went to sea were not the same guy at sea. One was so strung out coming down they had to lock the bugger in a cabin and steam home(decided a few weeks at sea fishing might be a good way to lose a P habit!).

As you say Baldbob its a big deal sacking a grown man with a family to support especially on the west coast where jobs are more like hens teeth than here in Auckland .
    It takes a special man to live with others 24/7 - have you made him aware of his failings with you and crew -is it his failing or is there an underlying reason for his behaviour, someone picking on him that needs sorting out also or is he just lazy and got an attitude ?

I dont always see eye to eye with my employer but we work things out for the best for our clients and work flow -give and take and niether can afford to be stone cold stubborn.

Make sure you have a 'lazy' 3 grand handy. If this guy gets wind of the fact you went on a message board the day before he gets the DCM wont look too flash in the employment court....anyway I think you should invite him to the forum so we can hear his side...it's only fair

Impure Lead Flinger
    Lol hes self employed... Just terminating a contract haha

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I had to let someone go 2 months ago. It was really hard like you said, but the team is functioning a lot better now and there is a far more positive feel about the farm. I wish I had done it 6 months earlier when the problems started!

Best of luck Adam
    Yep thats exactly how things go

Maybe try to get the whole team together sit down and have a yarn with the guy in a team meeting and raise the issues with him and see if anything changes if not then let him go, if the offenders find out that they are doing things that people do not like they will sometimes try to change what they are doing that is upsetting the team and sometimes they don't .

Its a big deal loosing your job so give him an opprtunity to rectify his mistake if not burly up the jerk and give those Tuna down their some more baddddd fighting attitude

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Were you in 2nd/1st BT?
    Yeap, 83-84 Charlie Coy, 86-87 Delta Coy and Recon Pl
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))