Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: *Urgent* Make a Submission Against New Gun Ban

Exclamation *Urgent* Make a Submission Against New Gun Ban

Stuart Nash has tacked a Supplementary Order Paper onto the horrible gun legislation that is currently before Parliament. This SOP would:
    -Restrict pistol stocks
    -Ban most .22 AR-15s
    -Ban any pistol that is over 400mm long, has a barrel less than 101mm, has a muzzle velocity over 1600 fps, or is not "suitable for shooting on a certified pistol range"
    -Allow pump action rifles to be banned by Order in Council

I don't need to tell you how harmful these additional restrictions will be.
    The police are out of control, and this will only get worse if we don't stop them now.
    I urge you to make a submission opposing the SOP. We have until the 29th of November.
    Here is the link: https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/sc/m...#RelatedAnchor

Here is the full text of the SOP if you want to read it: Supplementary Order Paper No 408 (released 12 November 2019) – New Zealand Legislation
    grunzter, WallyR and rewa like this.
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

Does anyone know where PNZ is at with this as they have not sent out anything to their members. It would be nice to have some examples. The 1600fps is presumably designed to capture AR pistols but there are older guns which may not be suitable on a range due to age etc

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigunguy View Post
    Stuart Nash has tacked a Supplementary Order Paper onto the horrible gun legislation that is currently before Parliament. This SOP would:
    -Restrict pistol stocks
    -Ban most .22 AR-15s
    -Ban any pistol that is over 400mm long, has a barrel less than 101mm, has a muzzle velocity over 1600 fps, or is not "suitable for shooting on a certified pistol range"
    -Allow pump action rifles to be banned by Order in Council

I don't need to tell you how harmful these additional restrictions will be.
    The police are out of control, and this will only get worse if we don't stop them now.
    I urge you to make a submission opposing the SOP. We have until the 29th of November.
    Here is the link: https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/sc/m...#RelatedAnchor

Here is the full text of the SOP if you want to read it: Supplementary Order Paper No 408 (released 12 November 2019) – New Zealand Legislation
    Thanks for posting this. Just to be clear when you state ‘allow pump action rifles to be banned’. Is this related to centre fire pump only? Or is it a much broader possible ban? In particular .22 LR ? I mean I imagine like I have, many people would have just modified many pump action .22’s to align with the new magazine capacity laws.

i just dont want to live here anymore

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    just banged this out over breakfast - if it helps anyone with ideas for your own submission feel free to use it as a base for yours

This is another example of poorly thought out legislation , drafted by people with zero practical abilities around firearms. It smacks of the NZ Police making yet another imposition onto the firearms community , who are not the problem with firearms regulation in this country.

Allowing this addition to happen after submissions on the draft Bill have closed and the oral submission process is almost complete is a back door way of slipping new law past an unsuspecting audience.

The section on allowing rule change by Order In Council is a pre-cursor to the imposition of a Police State . Parliament is the body empowered to make law in this country, not the NZ Police . Order In Council allows the Police to request and be granted any law change that suits their purpose without public scrutiny or input .

I suggest respectfully that attempting to ban and remove pump action shotguns will meet the same fate as the so-far failure to remove centre-fire semi-automatic rifles from thier legal owners , and will only create a greater distrust and hatred of anything to do with Police and Government amongst a large sector of society - who , once again , have done now wrong but are being scape-goated for the shortcomings of the NZ Police.

My/our recommendations
    Scrap this late amendment entirely. There is no evidence that any of the items mentioned in this amendment are an issue - this is simply a Police wish list late add-on.

Consult meaningfully with the firearms community and those parties with an interest in firearms safety, in a manner which shows you are genuine. You havent managed the genuine part yet at all.
    I took your lead and changed it a bit to better suit me.

This is another example of poorly thought out legislation that will do nothing to make NZ safer.

All it will do is further victimise Law abiding citizens many of whom will have just gone to great lenghts and using tax payer dollars to make their affected rifles and guns comply with round one of law changes.

NZ Police is making yet another imposition onto the firearms community , who are not and have never been the problem with firearms in this country.

Allowing this addition to happen after submissions on the draft Bill have closed and the oral submission process is almost complete is a back door way of slipping new law past an unsuspecting audience.

The section on allowing rule change by Order In Council is a pre-cursor to the imposition of a Police State . Parliament is the body empowered to make law in this country, not the NZ Police . Order In Council allows the Police to request and be granted any law change that suits their purpose without public scrutiny or input .

I suggest respectfully that attempting to ban and remove pump action shotguns and rifles will meet the same fate as the so-far failure to remove centre-fire semi-automatic rifles from thier legal owners , and will only create a greater distrust and hatred of anything to do with Police and Government amongst a large sector of society - who , once again , have done no wrong but are being scape-goated for the shortcomings of the NZ Police.

My/our recommendations
    I recommend that SOP408 be scrapped in its entirety and that in future the firearms community is meaningfully consulted on any proposed change to firearms law.
    stingray, 308, Sasquatch and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i just dont want to live here anymore
    I’ve had to come back over to OZ for work commitments after a period of a month at my place down the Sounds .
    I spent that time hunting, fishing , eating and walking with limited success on all but the eating
    I decided while I was there to explore the Archery world and I’m loving every minute of it so far .
    While it isn’t the whole reason to give the Bow a whirl , the government/police crusade against me and all of us licensed firearm owners did influence my decision and tipped the balance.
    I believe in my lifetime private firearm ownership in NZ will look like a shadow of what it is now.
    I plan on living for quite a lot longer so if I want to keep hunting , for now the Bow looks like it will have the best longevity .
    So when the Constabulary gets their wish in the next 10 to 30 years I’ll be miles ahead of the rest of you and will a legend with my Bow .
    Women will want to be with me , and all you Bang Stick Boys will want to be me

Of course that doesn’t take into account the shutting down of public hunting land access that is an obvious byproduct of no guns .
    The Twig and Tweet and give everyone a hug crowd will have pushed that through parliament by then and DOC will be to us hunters what the Police are now .
    If that happens then I suppose I’ll just have to fish more ...... Aaaahhhhh hang on a minute fish don’t really fit into the Vegan ideal
    Well I suppose I’ll just stay in Oz...... Aaahhhhh hang on a minute their politicians are as dumb as the ones in NZ .

Bugger
    Steve123, WallyR, Allizdog and 1 others like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I’ve had to come back over to OZ for work commitments after a period of a month at my place down the Sounds .
    I spent that time hunting, fishing , eating and walking with limited success on all but the eating
    I decided while I was there to explore the Archery world and I’m loving every minute of it so far .
    While it isn’t the whole reason to give the Bow a whirl , the government/police crusade against me and all of us licensed firearm owners did influence my decision and tipped the balance.
    I believe in my lifetime private firearm ownership in NZ will look like a shadow of what it is now.
    I plan on living for quite a lot longer so if I want to keep hunting , for now the Bow looks like it will have the best longevity .
    So when the Constabulary gets their wish in the next 10 to 30 years I’ll be miles ahead of the rest of you and will a legend with my Bow .
    Women will want to be with me , and all you Bang Stick Boys will want to be me

Of course that doesn’t take into account the shutting down of public hunting land access that is an obvious byproduct of no guns .
    The Twig and Tweet and give everyone a hug crowd will have pushed that through parliament by then and DOC will be to us hunters what the Police are now .
    If that happens then I suppose I’ll just have to fish more ...... Aaaahhhhh hang on a minute fish don’t really fit into the Vegan ideal
    Well I suppose I’ll just stay in Oz...... Aaahhhhh hang on a minute their politicians are as dumb as the ones in NZ .

Bugger
    When I think about it, a lot of animals I've shot with a rifle would have been close enough or near close enough using a bow.

This is the road I will go down if this firearm legislation really gets that bad too.
    Maybe I come home empty handed more often but if there are no rifles of any type for anyone, the chances for success may be greater through higher animal numbers.
    But then the bloody government will probably step in and bring numbers down.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 21-11-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    Ground Control likes this.

While you're at it, here is a Parliament petition to remove the administration of the Arms Act from the police.
    That is absolutely essential if we intend to be able to possess and use firearms in the long-term.
    The police have proven themselves totally incapable of administering the Arms Act in an impartial or unbiased way. Instead, they have taken it upon themselves to make life as difficult and expensive as possible for firearm owners, and will continue to reinterpret laws to ban anything they can. They need to be stopped.

https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/peti...he?signed=true
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

Are there any parties over there taking donations to fight this stuff? I'll donate, for what its worth

Quote Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
    Are there any parties over there taking donations to fight this stuff? I'll donate, for what its worth
    Colfo.

https://www.colfo.org.nz/9-colfo/lat...easonable.html
    sixtus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Nailed it bro.

Cahill gotta Cahill. That's his raison d'etre.

Submitted before it closed.

For anyone interested in making their voice heard and changing the dialogue on what's happening to us: https://firearmsprotest.org.nz/ (also on facebook) is the public grass roots pro firearm group that is protesting and getting news coverage. Since the big organizations are busy fighting this on the legal front, this is the group that makes sure that firearms owners are seen as the everyday members of the public that they are, and that there are a lot of us. It has effectively stopped the argument that the anti-gun sentiment is a "small fringe gun lobby" when people see protesters of all ages, genders, cultures and backgrounds protesting peacefully all over the country.

You can sign up by email on the page, or join the facebook pages. If you don't have a protest in your region, they'll help you organize one, or find the nearest one to you. Before you go to one you feel weird about it, but you get so many people honking and giving thumbs up in support and get to talk with some many good members of a community, it feels really good to be a part of.

If anyone wants to sign the Parliament petition to remove the administration of the Arms Act from the police but is getting a message that they already signed, this' the link to signing:
    Main Page: https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/peti...ration-of-the?
    Signing page: https://www.parliament.nz/en/petitions/sign/PET_93140
    Moa Hunter, WallyR and Jewcati like this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post

For anyone interested in making their voice heard and changing the dialogue on what's happening to us: https://firearmsprotest.org.nz/ (also on facebook) is the public grass roots pro firearm group that is protesting and getting news coverage. Since the big organizations are busy fighting this on the legal front, this is the group that makes sure that firearms owners are seen as the everyday members of the public that they are, and that there are a lot of us. It has effectively stopped the argument that the anti-gun sentiment is a "small fringe gun lobby" when people see protesters of all ages, genders, cultures and backgrounds protesting peacefully all over the country.

You can sign up by email on the page, or join the facebook pages. If you don't have a protest in your region, they'll help you organize one, or find the nearest one to you. Before you go to one you feel weird about it, but you get so many people honking and giving thumbs up in support and get to talk with some many good members of a community, it feels really good to be a part of.

If anyone wants to sign the Parliament petition to remove the administration of the Arms Act from the police but is getting a message that they already signed, this' the link to signing:
    While normally I would never be able to protest anything as too busy with work I was quite excited to see organised protests while I am currently able to attend and there is absolutely nothing in the whole top of the south? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post

A lot of apathy out there! only about 1500 signatures so far.