Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By sig4x4
  • 4 Post By gundoc

Thread: 17HMR semi auto - shorten and suppress - will it cycle reliably?

hills are steeper now

17HMR semi auto - shorten and suppress - will it cycle reliably?

After some advice, after having had issues with a Browning short-trac (pre buyback) that would not cycle reliably after being suppressed. I'm keen to get a 17HMR semi for rabbits out to 150m or so.

1/ With 22LR, the shorter the barrel the better the velocity and accuracy - as a rule. Opposite to centrefires. Does this rule also apply to 17HMR?

2/ With a good quality .17HMR (savage, Volq, Kidd, Ruger?) I've noticed that they tend not to come threaded and am wondering if that is because suppressing them can cause cycling issues? Does one offset the other, i.e. if it is shortened and suppressed, does one cancel the other out in terms of blowback pressure, or make it worse?

I'm thinking that someone here may have had a go at this or will know the answers. If anyone has a rig like this already - I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, cutting or even just threading a Savage A17 will void your warranty. Secondly the importer has said do it anyway as there have been no issues doing so. I've shot 1 A17 that had been suppressed that had no issues with cycling, and know of 2 more that run without issue. Can't remember if they were cut at all tho.

hi ya . ive had many bolt 17hmrs and now i have a savage a17. love it . i shortened and suppressed it and it cycles no problem . took about 75mm off from mem . ended up buying another one cause i liked the lam stock so i now have 2 .thou i will move the other on soon.. critical thing with the a17 is lube at the proper points. they use grease not oil on the slide and delay lock. the grease they spec is not available in nz (m pro7 grease not oil). ive been using inox with ptfe and it seems to work ok . been told to also try pro gold , have bought a tube but due to lockdown have been unable to test. i clean my a17 after every couple of hundred rounds and have very few mis fires . some of them were due to an old dodgy batch of ammo
    rugerman and dannyb like this.

hills are steeper now
    The A17 looks a good option. Good to hear of your experiences. Wondering about optimal barrel length for the HMR... My idea would be to put 200 rounds through it - if no issues, i.e. no call on warranty - then do the shorten/suppress thing. I guess 22mag is the other option. Or go for the tikka bolt.....

pity you are so far away or you could try mine. i went to 17hmr after being a 22mag fan for years. love the 17hmr.

Suppressed semi-auto .17 HMRs need more frequent cleaning to ensure reliable functioning as the back pressure from the suppressor causes more chamber fouling. .17 HMRs are notorious for chamber fouling anyway and should be cleaned every 100 rounds. Suppressed versions should be cleaned every 50 rounds or at the end of the day's shooting, whichever comes first.

hills are steeper now
    Is there an optimal barrel length for 17HMR as there is with 22LR?
    Reading few USA reviews for the A17, seems earlier models did have feeding issues, but that has been ironed out now. Capable of MOA with the right ammo.
    My other option is probably the TX1. Although I've seen a Volquartsen advertised at $3k odd, which is appealing, it's a lot of $$$ for a 150m rifle.....

hills are steeper now
    Thanks for the thought Sig. Yours is an A17 or another 17HMR?

ive got 2 x a17hmr , one lam stock one plastic stock which is surplus if you are interested. shortened and threaded with suppressor, can come with scope as well. pm me your no and we can chat if you want cheers sig