Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 17HMR versus 22WMR?

Dago
    @greghud. Thanks for the demonstration - good video.

Had both calibers in Marlin bolt action.
    17hmr easy to hit out to 150m but as most of my shooting was in windy locations it was really useless in any wind over 10kmh (its a very light pill for gongs, you won't see them move at 200m)
    22hmr was less accurate at 150m but had less issues with the wind and could put down bigger critters e.g wallabies.

In the end I sold both, bought a 223 and never looked back. More put down, more range, cheap to reload and readily available ammo.

Bus driver
    Quote”In the end I sold both, bought a 223 and never looked back. More put down, more range, cheap to reload and readily available ammo.”

Ditto on the 223 mate...well worth the extra coin..... kept the 17,s,they still have great uses
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Quote”In the end I sold both, bought a 223 and never looked back. More put down, more range, cheap to reload and readily available ammo.”

Ditto on the 223 mate...well worth the extra coin..... kept the 17,s,they still have great uses
    Yes for above. Horses for courses. I use my 17 HMR heaps more than I use my .223. The .223 a lot of the time(for my circumstances) would be overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    viper and A330driver like this.

I say it depends,
    If goats/wallaby sized pests are on the list then 22WMR, also you can get sub sonic 45gr loads as well. Bullet range is 25 copper NTX, 30gr - 45gr jacketed and 50gr gilt washed loads. Mine loved the rem 33gr plastic tip boat tail and the hornady 30gr. Hated the CCl 40gr. Can't recommend the 30gr on goats. Goat fell over instantly but only as fragments caught the spine.
    I've had to clean up after 17hmr on a goat, young feller was adamant it would put the goat down.
    But for rabbits, hares, cats and small/medium sized feathered pests today I would pick a 17HMR.

Unless you reload then you open another can, 17 hornet or 22K hornet.
    Z

Apparently not worth doing as about the same price as a new rifle

Shoot both 17hmr and wmr heaps.....as in A LOT!
    - WMR is superior in windy conditions, shooting through long grass tussock etc, and for larger game. Smokes roos real good. My boy's longest kill shot on a roo was just under 300m, bang - flop.
    - 17HMR is deadly when its still, much better range than the wmr. Any long grass though and the light pill can deflect very easily. Does work well on roos too though. Head shots drop them easily. Have found on a few occasions when close range (25-50m) shooting roos the pill is traveling so fast it drills right through them if no bone is hit. The 20gr hollow point I originally tried was terrible for just drilling holes. 17gr Vmax is better. Popping bunnies heads off at 300m+ is so much fun

Only my spethal opinion though

Ammo I only use now is Hornady Vmax in both cals.
    Basically when its windy I'll put the HMR away, leave the WMR with my boy, and I'll get out the 223.
    BSA270 likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh