Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 22 magnum on reds

deerhuntergatherer

22 magnum on reds

Dropped a spiker a few years ago with a 22 magnum in the ear 15 meters away standing side on, dropped him dead, used 30 grain Winchester ammo , any one used similar or 17 Hmr ect

R93
    Shot my first 2 sika with a .22 mag while out hare shooting near Waiouru. Shot 20-30 deer with a .22 while doing possums over the years. I will be building a .22 K hornet shortly. No doubt a few bigger animals will see the mean end of that.
    7mmsaum and lloydcj like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

dropped a fallow spiker at a bit over 100 with the .17hmr. Been covered on many forums threads on other forums etc, any calibre can kill a deer, some just give you a bit more "room for error"

the 204 has accounted for a few as well, only head shots
    Last edited by PerazziSC3; 19-06-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    lloydcj likes this.

Yea the old man is a 22mag fan,hes shot plenty with it but then he has had a few cock ups too. He takes his 3006 in the roar
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Shot my 1st deer with a 22mag, and plenty since..all within 20 metres. Critical that shot placement is perfect. 223 is my go to do everything calibre now.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

never shot deer with a 22mag but It deals to the goats.

Shot plenty of goats with .22 and gutted a few other with 3006, .22hornet was good as well but lacked the range, my mate had a .222 so he got more than me!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Why even suggest such a stupid idea?
    The do gooders poke enough shit at the hunting sector now regarding animal welfare etc. Why give them any more fodder to throw back?
    If you really need to prove yourself go try one on a Grizzly or Cape Buffalo.
    Fully agree, as ethical hunters we owe it to our quarry to ensure as quick and painless death as possible.

Actively hunting medium game with rimfire calibres is completely irresponsible in my view.
    Matt2308, john m, POME and 1 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

R93

22 magnum on reds

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Fully agree, as ethical hunters we owe it to our quarry to ensure as quick and painless death as possible.

Actively hunting medium game with rimfire calibres is completely irresponsible in my view.
    It's not about bravado, it's about opportunity.
    I don't skip around gayly thru the tussock looking to shoot deer with a .22 or the like but if I can see the buggers swede inside 50 yards when carrying one and I need an animal, it gets it.
    I back myself to clean shoot a deer with anything at that range. It doesn't care if the projectile is doing 3000 fps or 1200 fps when snotted in the head or neck.
    I didn't mind the cash they lined my pockets with either.
    The OP asked a question he didn't say its common practise for him.
    I personally can't see a difference when taking a clean shot what cal is used.
    I have shot a shit load of deer with a .223
    Spose that's irresponsible as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Norway, Kiwi Greg, JoshC and 1 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Spiker I shot last Month was shot with a 22 whilst out possum shooting. Have shot a couple of deer with my 22k Hornet both 1 shot kills. Like R93 says don't go out intentially to shoot deer with the smaller calibres but if it happens it happens.

Whats the difference between me shooting a deer with a 22 mag, and a number of home kill butchers that I know of shooting a cattlebeast with a 22 mag??
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    It's not about bravado, it's about opportunity.
    I don't skip around gayly thru the tussock looking to shoot deer with a .22 or the like but if I can see the buggers swede inside 50 yards when carrying one and I need an animal, it gets it.
    I back myself to clean shoot a deer with anything at that range. It doesn't care if the projectile is doing 3000 fps or 1200 fps when snotted in the head or neck.
    I didn't mind the cash they lined my pockets with either.
    The OP asked a question he didn't say its common practise for him.
    I personally can't see a difference when taking a clean shot what cal is used.
    I have shot a shit load of deer with a .223
    Spose that's irresponsible as well?

I was responding to 7mmwsm's post, which is why my post says ACTIVELY PURSUE.

I come from a culture where these things are severely frowned upon, fair chase and using enough gun are drilled into you as part of ethical hunting, so no offence intended.

Personally i wouldn't use a 223 for anything bigger than a goat, but each to their own.
    john m likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

R93

22 magnum on reds

I was responding to 7mmwsm's post, which is why my post says ACTIVELY PURSUE.

I come from a culture where these things are severely frowned upon, fair chase and using enough gun are drilled into you as part of ethical hunting, so no offence intended.

Personally i wouldn't use a 223 for anything bigger than a goat, but each to their own.
    I'm not offended at all. I have and will continue shoot animals how I please. We all have different standards and ethics and if they work for us individually that's all good.
    I personally think shooting an animal in the nut with a .22 rim or centerfire inside 50yrds is way more ethical than blasting away at them at ranges where atmospherics and things out of your control are a given.
    I can guarantee the meat butchers and tastes better as well.

Last edited by R93; 20-06-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I'm not offended at all. I have and will continue shoot animals how I please.
    I personally think shooting an animal in the nut with a .22 rim or centerfire inside 50yrds is way more ethical than blasting away at them at ranges where atmospherics and things out of your control are a given.
    I can guarantee the meat butchers and tastes better as well.

I agree, not a fan of shooting game out past 350ish either (also comes into the whole fair chase/is it hunting or shooting debate)
    Happy to play at 1km on the range though for a bit of fun.

Not having a go at you re the .22, yes they will kill a deer, but probably not the best thing for a novice hunter reading this to be trying (let alone a .17) and great ammo for the antis to grab off a public forum.

My point is what if something goes wrong? With a cattle beast it runs around the yards a bit till you can give it another one. A deer you will probably never see again.
    Scouser likes this.

R93
    I agree, not a fan of shooting game out past 350ish either (also comes into the whole fair chase/is it hunting or shooting debate)
    Happy to play at 1km on the range though for a bit of fun.

Not having a go at you re the .22, yes they will kill a deer, but probably not the best thing for a novice hunter reading this to be trying (let alone a .17) and great ammo for the antis to grab off a public forum.

My point is what if something goes wrong? With a cattle beast it runs around the yards a bit till you can give it another one. A deer you will probably never see again.
    Totally agree. We all need to know our limitations and employ them.
    I have a young son just starting out hunting.
    He turned down his first thar that he was perfectly capable of taking because he was unsure. He has set his standards. He will grow into some new ones as he gains experience.

DAF, Barefoot, JoshC and 2 others like this.