Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: 270 shooters

Exclamation 270 shooters

Hi guys.

Got offered a 270win, I never had one before. How suitable is it as a one rifle do it all setup with factory ammo?
    What ammo to use?
    What is the recoil like? It's a 7.5 lbs rifle.

Thanks
    BF
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

well I will assume its a genuine question so will answer.
    suppressed,you wont notice recoil at all on animals and manage it fine on paper....drop projectile weight to 130 grns and recoil WONT be issue at all
    for 20 years it was my do it all rifle,Ive shot just about every game animal here in NZ with one,and quite a number of other animals too.
    years back before rangefinders n twiddlin n fiddlin with dials,the mighty .270 was very good as the trajectory was ideal for the 0-400 yard shots 99% of folks take 99% of the time.
    ammunition is still on most shelves and to be completely honest,,,,,if you are shooting under 200 yards and chest shooting....pretty much any off the shelf ammunition will work just fine.....heck I used to use PMC soft points and cut the lead off tip as my rifle would mash it in mag under recoil if I didnt.
    over 35 years of usage I can count on one hand the animals that walked away /got away wounded...and would really have to think hard to remember that many. yip Ive clean missed a few...but my freezer has been kept full.
    jakewire, Dreamer, tetawa and 10 others like this.

My son and I use a 270. The best factory ammo we have used is Hornady Precision Hunter with 145gr eld-x projectiles, but they do make a big hole so can damage the meat. Quite hard to get at the moment though. We have a suppressor so the recoil is fairly light, but depends on your tolerance to recoil.
    BSA270 likes this.

17lb recoil. Ka flaming boom. Kills very dead but love that boot on it.

Caretaker
    Very capable with 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady 145 ELD-X projectiles and 2217 powder
    Dreamer, Shearer, keneff and 2 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yes it will do everything you need it to from 0 - 500 if suitably scoped and drop chart sorted. Recoil is a step up if you've been used to a 6.5cm, 243 etc but completely manageable, no dramas at all with a suppressor.

Ammo wise, if they shoot well in the rifle and you can get them, the Hornady precision hunter with the 145gr eld-x would be my pick or, the superformance 140gr sst. Federal Blue box has always been very accurate but is more of a sub 300yd load.

Very effective calibre especially when using the 145gr ELD-X, many of my friends comment on how well it grounds deer, if I were to have only one centrefire to do every thing, it would be a .270.

Back up the others - A goto rifle for everything = I reload at 90 grain for hares and rabbits. A good flat shooter.

Not much recoil and quite accurate (dependong on th enut behind the trigger)........ Standard off the shelf will do everything - just find what your rifle eats best.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

absolutely love mine, my go to factory load when i can find it is 140gr american whitetail, shoots about . 35 inch out of my rifle atleast, for 130s either federal blue box or again american whitetail 130grn, havent really played with fancy pills as im happy with the performance of softies

Only centrefire calibre I've ever owned until a recent addition of a .223. Have been using federal blue box 130g for ages now on sika, red, fallow and tahr. Last tahr I shot was a mature bull at 265 metres and it took 2 shots to put down so the heavier bullets mentioned above would be better on bull tahr and red stags.
    I have a mate who loads 110g hollow points for me for wallabies.

And after reading all those comments, just watch the price of anything .270 skyrocket!!!
    I can vouch for the rabbit killing powers of the mighty .270
    BSA270, RV1 and yeah_na_missed like this.
    Use enough gun

Lots of fancy .277 pills now being made.
    I'll be keeping my .270 Win 75 Finnlight for decades to come.
    Welcome to Sako club.

TLB
    I have used and owned several .270s since I was a kid and still currently use one from time to time.
    Even used one for professional culling jobs. 130gr superformance ssts shoot fast and flat so if you aren't dialling they are a handy round.
    Very versatile cartridge. I have a low recoil 110gr accubond load that I use for out to 300 odd yards.
    130gr Winchester nosler ballistic silvertips, 130gr ssts, 145gr eld x are all superb factory loads for all ranges. Shot deer out to 700 with the eld x and 600 odd with the ssts.
    Cheaper options, the federal fusions, Remington corelokt and blue box federals all work fine as well.
    If you are worried about recoil put a limb saver or similar and a suppressor on it and you'll be fine. Still far far nicer to shoot that any magnum cartridge.

270s are dumb
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    270s are dumb
    I agree - because it doesn't take much thought to make one work, they just do it.

The only better hunting round is a 270WSM firing 130s fast (3350fps+) - who needs to dial up?
    Mistral and BSA270 like this.

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys.
    The rifle isnt suppressed, still have full lenght barrel.
    I will be using factory ammo with whatever rifle I end up getting, too many things going on for a while so selling the reloading gear.
    AMac and BSA270 like this.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.