Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock river arms hunter

Thread: 7.62x39

7.62x39

is the 7.62x39 in bolt action any good as a bush hunting rifel?

Yes.

Ruger and CZ have some pretty awesome little bolt actions in that caliber (but they're like $1,500). Tiny, short, light barreled fast handling little guns.
    There's also the Norinco as Tussock said, but I'm not too keen on them (the reviews speak for themselves, and I wasn't impressed with the JW15 I had). If it's just a learning tool though, a Norinco might not be a bad idea.

7.62x39 is probably one of the best bush calibres in new zealand and its piss cheap to shoot, If your a reloader you can get it changed to 6.5 and then you have a truly awsome cheap calibre.... 6.5x39 just check it out there was a review done recently on it in one of the mags down here check it out!

If you want a pure bush rifle then grab yourself a 16" SKS and grab some aftermarket sights for it and your all set for easily under $400.... their accurate enough out to 150 and will put holes in a beer box at 200... thats all you need
    midge likes this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Also zaravsta (spelling on that one) make a 7.62 version - think they are around 800

Yep zastava's are nice rifles, mauser actions and come in stainless,wood combos..... i think they come with a non branded scope for 800.... theres a few on tardme so just keep an eye out for them as they have very nice handling characteristics

there is one on trademe at the mo thats the mane reson for the post as i am prity keen on it as my curent rifle gets a bit heavy after a wile

Quote Originally Posted by midge View Post
    there is one on trademe at the mo thats the mane reson for the post as i am prity keen on it as my curent rifle gets a bit heavy after a wile
    Well, someone has to ask...what is this 'heavy' rifle you are having trouble carrying?
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Well, someone has to ask...what is this 'heavy' rifle you are having trouble carrying?
    im carring a howa 1500 in 243 i never said i was having trouble but since smashing my sholder up im starting to notes it a bit more

bit off topic but i have heard that you get some junk jw15's and then you can get some great ones, i must have got a good one as i use it over my 10/22 any day.
    so carrying the rifle hurts or shoulder but shooting it doesn't ?
    Last edited by turner nz; 08-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.

i got rid of my 30.06 as that did a bit but no the 243 doesn"t at all. and i would like a bigger cal for reds i have shot reds with the 243 but it takes a wile for them to go down