Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 7mm Mag

7mm Mag

Hi Guys
    About to sight in my 7MM Mag with a new Proof Carbon Barrel, recommendations from experience for factory ammo would be great ? Currently going to try Precision Hunter 162grn and SST’s in 154 grn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hame View Post
    Hi Guys
    About to sight in my 7MM Mag with a new Proof Carbon Barrel, recommendations from experience for factory ammo would be great ? Currently going to try Precision Hunter 162grn and SST’s in 154 grn.
    It's a match barrel mate and it's custom chambered. Your in a unique situation. And every rifle likes different ammo. However it should be plenty accurate with any decent quality ammunition. The precision hunter has a good reputation but really to get the best from that barrel having load development done would be the best way to get the most from it.

mine prefers nosler 140gr partitions, shoots well with hornady 162 though

Thanks Stocky and gonetropo, bloody excited to get it down range. Had also looked at giving those Federal Hybrid Hunters a crack. What cleaning process are you guys running post shooting on the proofs ? Have previously done a standard wet patch, patch it out and wet patch for the safe program but had a quit a few people just recommend two oily patches on the proof and leave it at that ?!?!

Federal Fusion is awesome ammo.

Iv gone thru SST's, ELDX, GMX and CoreLokt.
    Settled on the Fusion for factory ammo. It's just accurate and it just works.

Had also looked at giving those Federal Hybrid Hunters a crack.
    Where on earth are you gonna get them from.

This is NZ, where if it's not Winchester Power Point or Prvi Partisan it doesn't exist in the eyes of our retailers.
    Pisses me off, cos there's so much awesome factory ammo available in USA that we never see.
    Bill999 likes this.

Federal Hybrid is going to be stocked by Hunt Fish shortly Tribrit. Thanks for info on Fusion 👍🏼

Start reloading or get some one to reload for you. I’ve found the Precision Hunter ammo to be very average in 3 different calibres and boom sticks. These are rifles that are 0.5 moa with hand loads, Precision Hunter 2moa at best. I’m sure it will shoot out of some rifles ok, but my experience it’s 3-0 to hand loads.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Start reloading or get some one to reload for you. I’ve found the Precision Hunter ammo to be very average in 3 different calibres and boom sticks. These are rifles that are 0.5 moa with hand loads, Precision Hunter 2moa at best. I’m sure it will shoot out of some rifles ok, but my experience it’s 3-0 to hand loads.
    You've had bad luck I've used it in a Ruger American 7mm Rem Mag (. 75moa) Bergara 308 (1 moa), kimber MT Ascent 6.5 Creedmoor (. 5 moa), a weatherby MKV ultralight 270 (. 75 moa) and my brothers 7mm08 x bolt (. 75 moa). The only rifle it hasn't shot in was a Ruger M77 300 Win Mag (2moa) but it doesn't shoot anything I have found yet even handloads only get to around 1.5 moa. But I get being stung and not trusting it especially with the price of factory ammo in NZ

Federal Hybrid is going to be stocked by Hunt Fish shortly Tribrit. Thanks for info on Fusion 👍🏼
    The way HF are Treating the gun laws I wouldn't buy a thing of them. I had to find a new supplier for the superformance match ammo I use in my 308 as I will not use them for anything except trying out items they have in stock so I can buy it elsewhere online etc.
    gonetropo likes this.

i have 7mm RM dies and full loading gear Hame, you just bring projectiles, powder etc and use it
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    We must go to different shops. There's a multitude of ammo offerings out there and, if that doesn't suit, though christ knows why, either work up a load yourself or pay someone to custom load.
    Win Power Point
    Fusion
    Partisan
    Sst
    Eldx
    Gmx
    That's it for my 3006.

I dont do power point or partisan, my Sako doesn't like eldx or sst above 150gr which leaves options limited. Especially when there's like 2 boxes of GMX at Gunworks and that's it for the south island

Banned
    Sounds like a sweet rig. What action, stock? Could you post is a photo?
    Visit gonetroppo and treat it to loads that it deserves

I have used Winchester Supreme loaded with 150gn Nosler BTs and they seemed to shoot well. I normally hand load the 150BTs but needed some more brass. Price is pretty good too. $65 box.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks Guys and gonetropo for the offer, have preciously done a fair bit of handloading but unfortunately no longer have the time so plan is to get the rifle running well on quality factory ammo for a start and progress back towards handloads from there. Sorry stevodog no photos as yet, hopefully pick it up from Stu this week, but details as follows :

Bedded Tikka Action
    Proof Carbon 26.5 inch barrel
    Optilocks
    Swaro z5 BT scope
    Terminator break
    Lightened trigger
    Currently fitted with Tikka Hunter stock but may head for a carbon one eventually.

Should go well 🤞🏻
    Bernie likes this.