Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By akaroa1

Thread: 9.3x62 vs 300 Win mag recoil/ muzzle blast.

9.3x62 vs 300 Win mag recoil/ muzzle blast.

My 15 yr old has been shooting his 9.3x62 with anything from 230 gr - 270 gr projectiles since he was 12 and love it but has decided he wants something for shooting at stuff over 300-400m away. So he has asked me what a 300 win mag is like in comparison.
    I have not shot a 300 win mag so i have no idea.

He will be getting a reasonable heavy rifle as a lighter rifle would kick like a mule regardless.

Anyone out there shot or shoots both and can give me an idea whether the 300 win mag has much more of a kick etc ?
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

without a picture . .. it never happened !

I run an un-suppressed 9.3x62 and a suppressed 300wsm. The 9.3 has way more recoil.
    If he can cope with 9.3 he will love the 300
    300winmag likes this.

I haven't shot a 9.3 x 62 but have a 338 win mag shooting 230/ 250 gr bullets and that recoils much more than my 300 win mag. Fit a good recoil pad like a limbsaver and that will help big time. My Tikka was quite nasty with the factory recoil pad and the limbsaver made it a lot nicer to shoot.

I have both, and they are with in a few oz, of each other in weight, 7lbs for the husky 9.3x62, and 7lbs 7 oz for the 300 win.
    More recoil with the 9.3, but not buy much, the 300 win is more snappy, if that makes sense, esp. so with 200gr loads.
    good recoil pad, and perhaps start with 150-165gr in the 300 win, and build up to the heavy for cal 200gr plus, weight.

He will be fine with the 300 win mag, the recoil impulse is alot faster and tends to have less muzzle jump and more of a sharp kick rearward if that makes sense?

Thanks. Yes i understand, the 9.3 has more of a slow push in comparison to a sharper kick. slow push being relative of course.

ok then, i will have a looksie around for a reasonable second hand wood stocked one a bit closer to xmas and grab some 150 ish pills to start him off.Got a bill or two to pay before i get too carried away buying another rifle.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind