Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Additional baffles and impact on accuracy

Additional baffles and impact on accuracy

So I have few extra baffles to go on my 308 for when the dogs ready to go. Will defintely check my zero but was wondering what if any change to accuracy or point of impact I can expect.

Anybody tested this out?

With everything being in good condition and in line, the only effect will be a slight increase in velocity.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    So I have few extra baffles to go on my 308 for when the dogs ready to go. Will defintely check my zero but was wondering what if any change to accuracy or point of impact I can expect.

Anybody tested this out?
    From unsuppressed to DPT suppressor and no extra baffles I was shooting a little low with the suppressor on. Adjusted it and it shot really well. I slapped a couple extra baffles and a stainless baffle ( supposedly stainless help preserve the life of the other baffles ) shot again and for some reason it was throwing them to the right... but then recalled the last two animals it shot before that, I got my brother on his first deer and a goat, both shots were a bit to the right so I just assumed it was his shooting. Maybe at some stage him having it it got bumped I’m not sure but besides it being a bit to the right once I shot it again it was still bang on height wise. Currently run 3 extra baffles and love it. Just make sure if you have a full length barrel that you don’t put too many on and have a black blurr in the scope at low magnifications
    Go fast, Don’t suck

I will be testing my dpt soon with baffles removed to make it a bit shorter and hopefully improve accuracy a little

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    With everything being in good condition and in line, the only effect will be a slight increase in velocity.
    Hi @Walker thanks for the reply. Just out of interest can you explain why there would be a increase in velocity when adding baffles?

Fitting a suppressor will alter your point of impact as you are hanging a weight off the end of the barrel that will alter it's vibration frequency, think of it as sort of a barrel tuner. Many people after fitting a supressor find that accuracy increases, the real reason for this is that the crown needs to be recut after threading, this gets rid of any minute damage and trues the muzzle rifling.
    mimms2 likes this.

Possibly a more parsimonious explanation for the improved accuracy is that the barrel is better damped. I'd guess most suppressors go on relatively new rifles with reasonable crowns anyway.

Hi Bobba, the optimum barrel lenght for a 308 is around 26- 28" to obtain the projectiles fastest speed. Rule of thumb is you will lose 25fps/inch for shorter barrels. Intrestingly adding a surpressor with 4 to 6" infront of the muzzel will get you back 25fps on average. There was a big write up in one of the american mags a few years ago when surpressors became 'legal' .

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Fitting a suppressor will alter your point of impact as you are hanging a weight off the end of the barrel that will alter it's vibration frequency, think of it as sort of a barrel tuner.
    Interesting train of thought following on from that, would a suppressor potentially then have a greater point of aim shift on a lightweight fluted barrel than a standard?
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

Ruger Ranch in 223, sonic suppressor from reloaders 1/2 inch groups with my 60grain hand loads. Removed two baffles to see if any POI shift at 100m. POI didnt change at all. Great combo gun is a bit agricultural but works well. Looking at getting a Bergara probably in 243 next.

No change in impact with my 7mm08 standard weight barrel and ATEC suppressor with 0, 1, 2, "modules".
    Without suppressor it shoots about 13 cm low and 3 cm left at 100m.

I had trouble with a loose sight mount once and it was a lot worse with the suppressor off.
    I wonder if the extra weight stabilised the whole rifle against moving under recoil and disturbing the loose sight.
    So, if the gun has minor mechanical faults like bedding or sight mounting perhaps these are less problem if the recoil is lessened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jt89 View Post
    Interesting train of thought following on from that, would a suppressor potentially then have a greater point of aim shift on a lightweight fluted barrel than a standard?
    A suppressor can definitely cause a shift in POI.
    My Howa 6.5 creedmoor will shoot 80mm to the left @100m when i take the suppressor off. I have it zero'd with it on, but will give 8 clicks to the right when i take the suppressor off when backpacking. (i'm glad i checked that at the range before hunting with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Hi Bobba, the optimum barrel lenght for a 308 is around 26- 28" to obtain the projectiles fastest speed. Rule of thumb is you will lose 25fps/inch for shorter barrels. Intrestingly adding a surpressor with 4 to 6" infront of the muzzel will get you back 25fps on average. There was a big write up in one of the american mags a few years ago when surpressors became 'legal' .
    An interesting claim for optimum barrel length.

This might be so for hunters who want something to carry, though at 26" - 28" it may be too long.

If this is the optimum length why to target shooters go 30", 32" or longer?
    I don't think target shooters do it because it looks good or balances out the stock, there must be some benefit in the extra length.

Personally my target rifles all have 32" 1:10 barrels.
    The extra velocity generated by the longer barrels allow me to utilize a slightly more conservative load to generate the speed I want.

Mine are to, BUT from 28" to 32" only gives you a max of 50fps. You'll find this artical intresting.https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/ Looking at the figures the first couple of cuts only reduce 10fps so extrapolating upwards the 308 case does'nt really give much extra. A longer barrel though does give more longitudanal stability, less left right heart beat etc effects.

The laws of internal ballistics are not all set in marble as they so many exceptions .
    So generally:
    -the thicker and shorter the barrel ( more rigid) the lesser the difference of point of impact between the suppressor on and off.
    - in most cases, removing or adding 1 or 2 baffles does not seem to change the point of impact at all, but there are exceptions of course; if you have a very thin long barrel , you add one stainless baffle and a few extra baffles you might definitely see a change.
    In any case, test your rifle with your new configuration and see where it shoots and adjust your sights accordingly.

In a recent article published in a French hunting magazine, there was a test on a rifle regarding the shift of impacts with and without suppressors. The rifle was a new Sako 85 in 308. All the impacts with the different suppressors tested were upward from the initial group shot without suppressors. Ammunitions were Browning ammo. It is not a common thing to have the impacts shifting up, most of the time it is down, but I guess that particular rifle had a mind of its own.

In every cases the groups improved more or less with the different suppressors on. And remember that a suppressor can influence the shooter in a positive way on how he will handle the recoil and the blast and how he will press the trigger.
    veitnamcam, Marty Henry and 30late like this.