Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RugerM77
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Ross Nolan

Thread: Affect of varying light on point of impact with open sights

Affect of varying light on point of impact with open sights

From memory varying light does have an affect point of impact. Case in point Baikal with peep sight shooting 4" high at 100 meters in sunny conditions. Then in heavy overcast shooting spot on. I fired three groups to verify what I was seeing. Each was 3" in middle of black. I remember my number 4 did exactly the same. Unfortunately that was some years ago and I didn't make notes. Am I correct with this rule of thumb ; bright light aim low?
    Cheers

There will be some form of light trickery going on and how your eye perceives the top of the foresight and back sight
    The rifle I shot the most with open sights was my first proper air rifle. Painted the front sight with twink/tippex
    Very square chunky sight and very visible to get in the same place all the time. Included sneaking around the bush or in the open.

@csmiffy. Good point about the twink. Forgot about that, used to do the same with L1A1 decades ago.
    Micky Duck likes this.

yes make the front blade bright....I see its really curved so could be making it worse....glow in dark powder mixed in with nail varnish works well...
    there was a blazer ??? barrel for sale the other week....couldnt help but notice the red triangle painted on rear sight..... havent seen it done before but can see the merit of it.
    RugerM77 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I think you're onto something re the blade shape. Might reshape it, vertical blade, also will make another a few thou taller. Brighten them both and see what happens.

What is happening is the reflected light is making the foresight appear taller, so the answer is to reduce the reflection.

Once upon a time wax matches were used to smoke the foresight, now you can use a smoky candle, matt black paint - whatever gives a non reflective surface.
    RugerM77 likes this.

I do recall, thanks for the tip. I also recall when we used twink or similar, NIGHT EXERCISES. Got a reasonable excuse for forgetting though, I was 18 at the time and I'm not now.