Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ammunition options

Ammunition options

Hey team,

I'm just wondering what options there are. New 223 rifle and I need to find what type of ammunition it likes.
    Are there any places that sell multi packs, different tyes of ammo in a pack. It would save buying different packs to try find the right one.

Cheers Bevan
    Dago likes this.

just save yourself a headache.....buy 50 pack hornady 55grn loads and be happy..... define what it likes??? its a .223 so as long as you not going silly with parameters or weight or having unreasonable expectations (must shoot 1/4") pretty much any off the shelf should be fine.
    ZQLewis, Joe_90 and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    just save yourself a headache.....buy 50 pack hornady 55grn loads and be happy..... define what it likes??? its a .223 so as long as you not going silly with parameters or weight or having unreasonable expectations (must shoot 1/4") pretty much any off the shelf should be fine.
    +1 for the hornady 55gr box of 50.
    second choice for me would be belmont or PMC bronze.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

55gr Hornady or H&F/Belmont ammo. Use hundreds of rounds on goats, pigs and the odd deer. Only had the odd failure when I've f#cked up on running shots.

The best load is dependent upon the twist rate of your rifle; 12" = 55 grain, 9-10" = 62 grain, 7-8" = 69 grain or heavier. These are basic 'rule of thumb' figures but should give a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Myself, exploring .223 calibre for first time, bought a Remington 783 off Trademe for $550 a couple of months ago.
    Definitely not the flashest gun out there but thought it would be able to let me decide whether .223 was a calibre that I wanted in my cabinet.

Another member here recommended PPU 55gr.

Rifle seems to like it and gives roughly the following ballistics.

Zeroed for 200 meters

Muzzle velocity estimated 3100 fps 1174 ft/lbs

100 m 2.23 inches high 2619 fps 838 ft/lbs

200m 0 inches 2205 fps 594 ft/lbs

250 m 4.5 inches low 1984 fps 482 ft/lbs

Have only used it on hares at this stage. Most definitely point and shoot to 200 meters. Will be using it on possums shortly but expect the same results. Will also try it on pigs and goats in short time and anticipating good results.

I am purchasing the PPU at $1 a round from Gunworks.

PPU is the only round that I have used at this stage only because it was recommended, is cheap (with regard to the amount I use), readily available and works well for what I do...... at this stage.

When and if I get more adventurous and decide I wish to target small deer I may consider reloading for it.

My 2 cents worth and experiences at this time. Others will have a wealth more knowledge and experience no doubt.

That said, already I think the .223 will stay and the .243 may go

Cheers
    Phil
    Shot plenty of deer with factory ammo....bugga all (if any) hares/possums. That’s what the .22 and 17 HMR are for.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    ...the .223 and .308 cover the full spectrum of my hunting...
    Well said.
    Another positive, it opens up a spot in the safe for the point-something-magnum when the 308 runs out of legs.
    Steve123 and Phil_H like this.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Yeah, that stuff shoots fine and dandy
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    .17 lacking punch after 150 or so, no? Only a couple boxes under my belt on that one.
    .223 will go 350-400 all day, and if you can clock bunnies at that range, then you're set to take anything else...
    (400 is about my personal limit for any cartridge/animal, not that I couldn't "probably" connect out further, just not worth it IMO, and getting within petting distance is more fun)
    That puts me out of this discussion....I just don’t shoot that far......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

me too.....

Dago
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean-hunter View Post
    Hey team,

I'm just wondering what options there are. New 223 rifle and I need to find what type of ammunition it likes.
    Are there any places that sell multi packs, different tyes of ammo in a pack. It would save buying different packs to try find the right one.

Cheers Bevan
    I agree.

My 223 Howa 1:8 shoots best with Sako 55gr Gamehead SP. Hornady Black 75gr STHP was very disappointing with Federal 64gr SP being ho-hum. My shooting friend bought our Howas from the same outlet at the same time and these 'twins' have favourite cartridges.

PMC bronze appears to be quite a hard 55gn projectile. Shot 3 Sika last weekend, all chest shots @ 150-200 m and all through and through shots, inc both legs. My hand load sierra 55 gn spbts would always be found under the far side skin at those ranges.