Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Aorangi Range Timaru

Aorangi Range Timaru

Does anyone know if the 100-300m rifle range is up and going at all or still just the shorter ones?
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Spoke with cookie last year regarding this. was supposed to be feb this year or something or rather, 2rd or 3rd date ive been given, also given up asking and offering help....
    Will be a very cool venue to have locally once its up and running!
    Dreamer likes this.

Hit up sparrowhawk they have all the ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by blair993 View Post
    Hit up sparrowhawk they have all the ranges.
    Not quite as convenient as a 15 min drive to play with loads. Might get around to checking it out one day though…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told over 2 years ago they would be up and running in 6 months. Sounds like they need more money but will struggle to get any without at least a 100m range open.

Should've started with a rifle range and got a decent amount of members, then focused on his pistol ranges.
    Dreamer likes this.

@Dyls
    the origonal plan was the rifle range first - however to keep a pistol licence you need to shoot regularly, so thats why the focus on the pistol ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Basenjiboy View Post
    @Dyls
    the origonal plan was the rifle range first - however to keep a pistol licence you need to shoot regularly, so thats why the focus on the pistol ranges.
    Also the cost of the 100m range is more than 5 pistol/rifle ranges together.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Okay even if it does cost more to open a rifle range, its going to genetate a shitload more income than what the few pistol shooters ever could.

Don't get me wrong, when its fully open its going at be an amazing facility, but right now its only appealing to quite a niche market.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyls View Post
    Okay even if it does cost more to open a rifle range, its going to genetate a shitload more income than what the few pistol shooters ever could.

Don't get me wrong, when its fully open its going at be an amazing facility, but right now its only appealing to quite a niche market.
    Not disagreing with you at all, but when you have stuff all money and no range, and a few people with energy to do something, plus a need (a range), the pistol & rifle certified ranges come first (the short ranges are cert'd for rifles too, just not that long, ~40m). Better to get some money from subs than none.

There is a lot of people that want to use a facility, but there's bugger all that want to put their time, energy and money behind creating one.

(disclaimer, although I'm in auckland now, I was there at the very beginning of this facility, and did put my personal time, money and effort, into it - there has been a HEAP of others, that have put in more, to get it - and keep it - moving along)
    muzr257 and Dyls like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

If anyone from the range is reading this, I'm sure many would be happy to pay subs for the range even without a 100m rifle range setup, This would ensure guaranteed members whilst generating some capital for the range to put towards getting the 100m range going.

https://m.facebook.com/aorangirange/

Sounds like there people there on Saturdays 1300hrs onwards.

Aorangi Range Timaru

@small_caliber thanks for that information. That is very disappointing to hear that’s what happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are planning to have selected days where we will open the front square range which is 25-400m. We have undercover facilities for shooting position to go in at some stage when we have time.
    I’ll talk to nick tomorrow when we head to a shooting match in gore and try to get some dates up on the website.
    Mathias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    We are planning to have selected days where we will open the front square range which is 25-400m. We have undercover facilities for shooting position to go in at some stage when we have time.
    I’ll talk to nick tomorrow when we head to a shooting match in gore and try to get some dates up on the website.
    At Sparrowhawk, Albury that is.

Reviving this well beaten horse, new facilities are shaping up to be top notch and very well can be called a shooting complex once complete.