Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AR-15 Problems

AR-15 Problems

hey guys on my AR-15 I have a 5 round mag been told that 5 can be to much only put 4 rounds in.. But here is my problem when I put the mag in pull back on the charging handle and the bolt comes right open locks into place, I push the release button to close the bolt. It wont move at all to pick up the first round.. its like it jams or is stuck.

other problem some times the bolt wont stay open at all after pulling the charging handle it will close, but when it does this it might pick up the first round but only close 95% of the bolt..

Im using .223 55g been reading some say this is ok others say 5.56 use .223 62g ammo

Thanks guys sorry if dumb question..

junk mag
    DAF and BRADS like this.

Yeah I had that before with my Ca10 and after market mags.
    Just file the bit off the bolt is hitting and you'll be away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

res
    Sounds like you have a bad mag, assuming the bolt release works fine without the mag in.

As long as the 55gn ammo groups for you your fine
    Using Tapatalk

OK. but if I put the mag in empty it functions how it should. soon as I put one round in the magazine it does the problem im getting.

Is it one of those grey mags with a plastic bottom if so I had 3of those and only 2 behaved like they should found them a bit hit or miss

A lot of the mags A cat shooters have to ensure are truly terrible. One of the biggest positives of E category is not get "big" mags but decent ones.

I too had the same problem with my first Bushmaster, and more or less determined it was the mag's.
    When i changed to better magazines it went away (...but then again i later changed my AR too )
    Out of interest what make AR and magazine is it, may tell more of a story...

Most 5 or 7 round mag's have springs that limit the capacity, and they suck.

I have 10 rnd mags that i have put in a spacer to limit the follower travel so only 7 rnds can be loaded, but the spring is unchanged, these work PERFECTLY..!!!

yeah I have a black one that come with the gun and a grey one also. The grey is crap with 5 rounds in it the 3rd one down slides around take one out with 4 in there don't get that. But that one wont pick up ammo at all..

Its a guncity ranger model. But im starting to think it is something to do with the mag. Been playing with it for last 15 mins been loading first round fine. Only problem now is when bolt open push new mag in hit release button bolt closes 95% I can push it closed the rest of the way with my finger..

bloody thing has mind of its own works one minute next it don't.

I have had no issues with the Gen2 Spears mags, as well as the AR-stoner modified 10 rnd mags.

But the 5 rnd mag that comes with the CJA and the 5/7 rnd AR-stoner ones with the differently wound springs have both been troublesome.

with my nea , the 5 round mags were shit ..... same probs as your having , almost couldn't even get a loaded mag in , had to hammer it in , .... 30 rounders made it all go away , pmag , usgi , .... anything is better than those 5 rounders ...
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

ok thanks guys I'll get me some more mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1984 View Post
    ok thanks guys I'll get me some more mags.
    Just don't buy your mags at Gun City, they charge 3 times everyone else

I have spear 30 rounders work fine. I think the polymer is some sort of lubricant as the rounds do slide out with little effort when unloading. Have a stag 5 stainless which I modified to 10 rounder works great. Have a couple of asc braned ones which I modified from 5 to 7 rounders by trimming a bit at a time off the bottom of the compressed spring. These work good. I think that aluminium mags with a lot of spring tension, the bolt does find it difficult to strip the first round out of the mag. Something to do with the aluminium gripping the case more than the stainless or poly mags. When you are fitting your mags with the bolt closed it does take a bit more effort to fully seat the mag and when chambering a round pull the charging handle all the way back and let it fly forward don't ride the action. Sometimes easier to load the mag with bolt back and hit the bolt release if the bolt doesn't go fully into battery hit the bolt assist that's why its there. You may be having new gun issues that will go away with use, could try some spear 7 round mags aswell.
    stumpy and PERRISCICABA like this.