Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bad technique

Bad technique

Hi team,

So it's been a long while since I spent any serious time shooting and I realised after a very (rare) quick visit to the range that my technique has become incredibly poor. Now, I'm not saying that it was particularly great to start with but now.................

Anyway, aside from spending some serious time shooting, which I am struggling to find due to family and work commitments. What are some other things I can do to help work on and improve my technique?

Cheers

Nathan Foster has a very good book on shooting technique and related issues. You can buy it on his website at ballistic studies.
    Sideshow likes this.

Check out some of member Norway's long range video's, fantastic, no bull shit video's on both shooting technique and drills. They make me think about what I am doing from the basics through to mental approach and dealing with misses etc.
    Highly recommended viewing.

Dry firing seems to be recommended a lot. Haven't tried it myself

P38
    What @viper said!

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Well, it seems that Nathan Foster calls the cross brassing technic ( used by norway and many of us,with weak hand under the stock and free recoil off bipod)in his book Bullshit. NF seems an adept of the sling shooting technic over a back pack.
    I have seen Norway DVD and read Nathan Foster books. It is easy to make a video to tell the public exactly what you want it to hear.( like shooting a plastic duck at 800 m in bad conditions , if you throw enough lead toward it you will eventually get it).
    On the other side the credential of NF with more than 7000 head of game shot and all the shooting and reloading experience with a multitude of rifles and caliber ,make me think that he is not on the wrong path either.
    So I am opening the pop corns and watching the debate :-)
    Robojaz and DLW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Well, it seems that Nathan Foster calls the cross brassing technic ( used by norway and many of us,with weak hand under the stock and free recoil off bipod)in his book Bullshit. NF seems an adept of the sling shooting technic over a back pack.
    I have seen Norway DVD and read Nathan Foster books. It is easy to make a video to tell the public exactly what you want it to hear.( like shooting a plastic duck at 800 m in bad conditions , if you throw enough lead toward it you will eventually get it).
    On the other side the credential of NF with more than 7000 head of game shot and all the shooting and reloading experience with a multitude of rifles and caliber ,make me think that he is not on the wrong path either.
    So I am opening the pop corns and watching the debate :-)
    Hold that Forend! I tend to agree with what he says,that is how i was taught to shoot.
    mikee, shooternz and Sideshow like this.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

R93
    Dumb military. They taught me all wrong.
    That fella should go to every western military and teach them the right way to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 03-12-2016 at 11:11 PM.
    zimmer likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sheppard84 View Post
    Hi team,

So it's been a long while since I spent any serious time shooting and I realised after a very (rare) quick visit to the range that my technique has become incredibly poor. Now, I'm not saying that it was particularly great to start with but now.................

Anyway, aside from spending some serious time shooting, which I am struggling to find due to family and work commitments. What are some other things I can do to help work on and improve my technique?

Cheers
    I'll send @TimeRider round to show you.

But seriously, if you can't get to the range just practice dry firing on the floor. Line up and keep looking through the scope as you squeeze the trigger. Make sure you're still lined up on the target after the 'shot'. Either that or make some YOU time, or sing out and I can come too and that would make it extended family time.
    Scouser likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Dumb military. They taught me all wrong.
    That fella should go to every western military and teach them the right way to shoot.

Yeh, as well as the military, people we regularly see on video eg Norway, Greg Duley etc have obviously got it wrong wrong wrong, along with all benchrest shooters (alright, not heavy recoil but same principles of consistency of hold, trigger release, follow thru), F Class shooters, free recoil shooters, by-pod shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yeh, as well as the military, people we regularly see on video eg Norway, Greg Duley etc have obviously got it wrong wrong wrong, along with all benchrest shooters (alright, not heavy recoil but same principles of consistency of hold, trigger release, follow thru), F Class shooters, free recoil shooters, by-pod shooters.
    Springer air rifle shooter.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Re reading Nathan foster book's conclusion last night, the issue is not do much with heavy rifles but with heavy recoiling light rifles .
    mikee and Sideshow like this.

What are you shooting ? Dry fireing pift crock.

Go to the range and start reading your flags .
    Read the mirage. Pick ur moment take ur shot.

Read the elements is all i can say.

Are you shooting off a pod or bench ?
    mikee likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Re reading Nathan foster book's conclusion last night, the issue is not do much with heavy rifles but with heavy recoiling light rifles .
    Who is dumb enough to expect good results, when trying precision shooting with a light but heavy recoil rifle, without a break or at least a suppressor?

gadgetman likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sheppard84 View Post
    Dry firing at home to a target down the hallway. Take your time, breathe, concentrate, focus.