Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Which is the best wind meter for wind estimation

Which is the best wind meter for wind estimation

Is it one of the kestrel bunch?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    The trouble with anonometers is that you can't read them down the end of the range that really counts.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If it is just wind then any of them will be good enough, the kestrel is good if you want pressure and humidity. But if you just set humidity to 50% it will be close enough out to 1000 yds, pressure can be got from a Garmin 62s or similar, if you have one of those.
    My wind meter cost $30 from memory

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I have a Kestrel2500. Only just got it from off EBay the other day so can't say much else. Temp and hPa is nice to include. Just make sure ref alt is set at 0m to give true station pressure.
    If its good enough for Norway then it's more than enough for me is my thinking.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372991588.873545.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  28.6 KB
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    The trouble with anonometers is that you can't read them down the end of the range that really counts.
    Huh? Wind at the target matters... as does wind at the firing point... as does wind along the entire projectile path. I would be less worried about 1" of drift in the last 100 yards of trajectory than i would be about 1" of drift in the first 100 yards. Wind meters are great to give you an indication of wind speed at your location. You can use this information to make a slightly better informed decision about the effect of the wind along the bullets entire trajectory.

I have a kestrel 2500... it works well. I didn't bother getting one with all the bangs a whistles and truth be told i tend to use vegetation more than the kestral when judging wind effect. Norway put together a cool video demonstrating using vegetation to judge wind.
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    If it is just wind then any of them will be good enough, the kestrel is good if you want pressure and humidity. But if you just set humidity to 50% it will be close enough out to 1000 yds, pressure can be got from a Garmin 62s or similar, if you have one of those.
    My wind meter cost $30 from memory
    what wind meter is that Stug?

yea I had a copy of that video when I lived down in chch before the earthquakes, computer died of anxiety apparently, anyone got a copy online I can download or get emailed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Huh? Wind at the target matters... as does wind at the firing point... as does wind along the entire projectile path. I would be less worried about 1" of drift in the last 100 yards of trajectory than i would be about 1" of drift in the first 100 yards. Wind meters are great to give you an indication of wind speed at your location. You can use this information to make a slightly better informed decision about the effect of the wind along the bullets entire trajectory.

I have a kestrel 2500... it works well. I didn't bother getting one with all the bangs a whistles and truth be told i tend to use vegetation more than the kestral when judging wind effect. Norway put together a cool video demonstrating using vegetation to judge wind.
    Gillie I will bow to you considerably greater knowledge on this matter. My understanding to now has been that wind has the greatest affect on a projectile's flight at the target end where the projectile is travelling slowest and dropping quickest. What I was alluding to above was that a hand held device cannot measure wind at target (unless you happen to be at the target) and that wind variables (speed, direction) could be completely different from those at the shooting position down at the target position. Bill999, however Gillie responds to this (or not) be guided by his advice over my comments.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Sweetas Rushy your understanding is pretty good. Certainly a logical arguement... but... for arguements sake i'll pose a simple theorectical example

I shoot a flash bang calibre... that fires a bullet at 3000fps (at the muzzle), when that bullet reaches 1000m it is going only 1500fps.
    I fire my first shot at a 1000m target. There is a 2m/s wind from 9 o'clock between 0m and 100m. This shifts my bullet off path by 2cm at 100m. With no other wind when my bullet gets to the target at 1000m it has drifted 20cm total.
    I fire my second shot at the same 1000m target. There is now a 2m/s wind from 9 o'clock between 900m and 1000m. Ignoring slight variations in the projectiles BC due to its slower velocity because the bullet is going half as fast lets say it drifts twice as much - so 4cm total.

Yes, yes i know. What about the elevation effect of the wind, coriolis effect, spin drift.... i thought pulling the trigger harder would make the bullet go faster, the cross hairs weren't on the center of the target... that's why i said a simple example. There are some very smart shooters on here though and i'm sure they'll comment on this example

Sweetas Rushy your understanding is pretty good. Certainly a logical arguement... but... for arguements sake i'll pose a simple theorectical example

I shoot a flash bang calibre... that fires a bullet at 3000fps (at the muzzle), when that bullet reaches 1000m it is going only 1500fps.
    I fire my first shot at a 1000m target. There is a 2m/s wind from 9 o'clock between 0m and 100m. This shifts my bullet off path by 2cm at 100m. With no other wind when my bullet gets to the target at 1000m it has drifted 20cm total.
    I fire my second shot at the same 1000m target. There is now a 2m/s wind from 9 o'clock between 900m and 1000m. Ignoring slight variations in the projectiles BC due to its slower velocity because the bullet is going half as fast lets say it drifts twice as much - so 4cm total.

Yes, yes i know. What about the elevation effect of the wind, coriolis effect, spin drift.... i thought pulling the trigger harder would make the bullet go faster, the cross hairs weren't on the center of the target... that's why i said a simple example. There are some very smart shooters on here though and i'm sure they'll comment on this example
    Well now I just won't sleep for a week. Damn you Gillie Ha ha ha ha

Not to worry Rushy. If yah missus complains she can't sleep cause you can't, just tell her this example. She should nod straight off!!

Not to worry Rushy. If yah missus complains she can't sleep cause you can't, just tell her this example. She should nod straight off!!
    Might just tell it to her anyway just to see her eyes water and glaze over

ebf
    Rushy, it gets a whole lot worse. Wind can be toward or away from you, left to right, or up and down ... think fluid movement in 3 dimensions.

Bullets don't actually get blown of course. Drag causes a spin stabilised projectile to turn into the wind.

Your logic works for gravity, but wind is a very different story.

exterior ballistics or Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Now I won't sleep for a month. Damn science. I am surprised that a bullet can make it out of the fucking barrel now.

Not that I am great a reading the wind (its my kryptonite when shooting longrange) but Gillie is correct. The example provided is logical about the wind at the shooters end having the most effect.

kj