Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By McNotty

Thread: Bi pod for bipod/rear bag bench shooting

Bi pod for bipod/rear bag bench shooting

Trying to find a nice solid way of shooting for zeroing and load development from the bench
    I im using sand bags front and rear atm but am finding my shooting a bit hit and miss of them
    Im thinking of trying a bi pod rear bag set up but the bipods I have are too high for me to be Comfortable
    Any ideas

Banned
    bought me a "Caldwell"(?) Steady Aim at the shot show for this very purpose.
    Works great for me.

If you want to use it hunting without the bipod then keep in mind that the zero would be different from the bipod one.

Bipods are OK off the bench, bags are easier to shoot consistently though imo. Need to really watch you p's and q's when bench shooting anything that recoils with a bipod. Consistency is key. Hand placement, head placement and shoulder pressure all can have big poi changes.

The best and easiest front rest is probably a br style adjustable front rest (Caldwell the rock etc) . You can get basic ones for not to much money. This is probably the best option for you imo, adjustable to be able to get comfortable solid and repeatable.

I just clamp a piece of ply on bench to load bipod and use a rear bag for load development. When zeroing I do it prone as that's majority of my shooting.
    Preacher likes this.

If using a bipod, as was suggested above, the loading on it needs to be repeatable/consistent.

I have generally gone away from bipods as I am a shocker for not loading consistently.

57JL
    caldwell Zeromax shooting rest cost $99 money well spent for figuring out how well your rifle does shoot or for load development

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Trying to find a nice solid way of shooting for zeroing and load development from the bench
    I im using sand bags front and rear atm but am finding my shooting a bit hit and miss of them
    Im thinking of trying a bi pod rear bag set up but the bipods I have are too high for me to be Comfortable
    Any ideas
    Yea, I'm trying to find an adjustable "butt" stand so I can sight my rifles in.
    It might sound funny but I'm sick of being uncomfortable propping up the butt to get on target at the range and with my high blood pressure all I get is the target moving in beat to my heart beat - I basically have to "pull" the trigger between the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by XSNRGY View Post
    Yea, I'm trying to find an adjustable "butt" stand so I can sight my rifles in.
    It might sound funny but I'm sick of being uncomfortable propping up the butt to get on target at the range and with my high blood pressure all I get is the target moving in beat to my heart beat - I basically have to "pull" the trigger between the beats.
    I've seen them used, small scissor jack with a sandbag on top. You could also just go to a lead sled type setup

For sighting in I use a shooting rest called K Zone, it is adjustable in the front and works ok, about a hundred dollars when I bought mine a year or two back.