Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By Maca49

Thread: Black powder shoot Tauranga

Black powder shoot Tauranga

Peril787b and his better half came over from Hamilton for our shoot yesterday . Bit of a late start for him 40th birthdays and trying to find us, he did extremely well, as the club shoots at the end of a goat track way up Works Rd, when you think your lost, there we are!
    He brought a Tony Hawkins 45 cal muzzle loader, he had never fired. He was lucky to have Kevin our range officer show him the ropes, what Kevin doesn't know about muzzle loading not worth knowing. They soon were bowling accurate lead down range. Pic shows Peril shooting my 45/70 Springfield. Good to meet you Peril hope you enjoyed yourself and we catch up again, we're a relaxed lot up thereName:  image.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  996.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  938.4 KB
    Dundee and peril 787b like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Love the smell of blackpowder. how often do you do club shoots. my brother inlaw from aus shoots blackpowder has done for years. i wouldnt mind introducting him to some guys in the new zealand scene. they plan on moving over in a few years time.

Mucko we shoot 1st Sunday every month, Rotorua, Taupo and I think Hamilton all have active clubs and tend to all shoot different weekends to provide a circuit for those that want to travel.
    mucko likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hey Maca49, stolen my thunder! Just came on to write a post about the weekend and I see this! Anyway, what was supposed to be a meet up at half 9 turned into leaving from a late breakfast at around 11 to drive up a road that didn't suit my BMW very well at all. Just as I'm thinking we've really taken the wrong road, we hear the sound of gunfire that wasn't quite right... blackpowder certainly makes a unmistakably different sound.

Up we walk, supplies in hand and are welcomed by the friendliest bunch of folk. Introductions over and done with and Kevin starts teaching me something that I had never known before (minds out of the gutter you lot). The art of muzzle loading!! One shot and I'm hooked, Kevin teaches and I listen as he slowly reels me into his world.
    I marvel at the beauty of the guns and rifles being used and the crew have a look over what I thought was a bargain basement front stuffer, only to be informed my new Hawkins has never been fired before today and is a very good rifle. A little taken back by this and pleasantly surprised all at the same time.

My better half (so eloquently named) who is a very keen new shooter, waits patiently to be able have a turn and once again Kevin teaches another victim the ways of this semi forgotten art. She's hooked as well with one pull of the trigger!

A great weekend made even better by the crew that were there, your welcoming attitude was so friendly so we'll definitely be back for more!!!!

Thanks Peril, gotta say Kevin is a great guy, he is there every shoot, he runs the event but I never seen him fire a rifle himself, cannons and mortars are his thing. I found the same first time I went there, same as you, took a couple of new rifles and they set me up, showed me the ropes, certainly are a relaxed and friendly bunch.
    Good to meet you both hopefully see you again soon, hook up with Pete and come over with him.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough