Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Daniel L
  • 1 Post By Magnus

Thread: BPR 22 ammo a bit naff

BPR 22 ammo a bit naff

Got a 100 pack of the HV BPR hollows the other day. Only 20 bucks and change. Had to be worth a crack nigel. Supposedly doing 1400fps so quite quick
    Anyhoo put some through the Norinco lever action and the 10/22 couple of weeks back. Certainly, nothing to write home about but did have a substantial crack out both 22s as they are nothing over 18"
    Probably 1" groups at 25 from both. Didn't try them further out and ran out of time anyway.
    Went out today and had a go with the old Stirling. I must admit I never shot this for groups back in the day. a few shots on target to see if it was close and away we went usually after swapping back and forwards between HVs and subs.
    Winchester powerpoints, PMC zappers and Winchester/hushpower subs. Out to 100m I always thought a humane hit/kill on a jacko or hare was very doable.
    Thought I'd try it out today. Put about 20 rounds through it thinking the first 10 might be needed to do its own barrel conditioning.
    yeah nah. Initial shots at 15m weren't that flash but had the misguided hope maybe they had yet to stabilise.
    yeah nah again. Tried at 40m and 7 shots would be lucky to be covered by a coffee mug...side on. All over the place like a mad womans excrement
    During the 20 or so shots had one sound like a misfire, quieter than a subsonic, just a pop. Checked the barrel to make sure it got all the way out and looked like it needed a chimney sweep there was that much soot in there.
    Also had one fail to fire. Tried cocking rifle straight away and having another go, nope. Flicked it out and let it have a think about things from a safe distance and after 5 minutes or so tried again putting the rim in another possie and still no good.
    Have some CCI moderator to try in the old Stirlo and whilst it wan't flash (wasn't in the other 2 either) it was heaps better than the BPR.
    Very quiet out of my self-built silencer too. Certainly minute of possum up a tree material but wouldn't be expecting to hit one between the eyes sitting on a windrow at fiddy.
    digging the BPR out of the sand at the initial 15m showed very complete mushrooms and suspect only a bit less at 50 but honestly whilst my other two might be able to use it, the Stirling hated it
    Definitely not as exciting as @dannyb and his new acquisition
    Last edited by csmiffy; 08-04-2022 at 05:05 PM.
    Micky Duck, dannyb and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Had to be worth a crack nigel.
    Ha I haven't heard that one in a loooong time. I remember watching that Cheezel's ad in the 80s!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

tis amazing how many of the sachi n sachi adds have stuck in our brains and become part of the dialect.....

avoid BPR GOT IT.

Read online about them before I shot them
    Mixed reviews at best. I think something about being made by winchester US and there is a lot online about their poor quality. Might work in some people's 22s but not flash in mine
    Nigel???

but its a cheeezel Nigel....

then poor Nigel had a bit of a minties moment,

Hmmmm - a young guy at the range the other day with a Rossi 22 was shooting them, and the groups he was getting at 100 were exceptionally good, easily under 2". I shoot a lot of 22s at that range and not many sporters do better than that.

So it either shoots ok in "some" rifles, or some lots of it are good. Take yer pick@

Brought heaps of 400 round boxes for pinking at the range, my ruger can't stand them but the jw25 and the boys Jw15 shoots the as accurate as any decent 22 ammo. Seems that some rifles hate them an some don't mind them.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

@muzza agreed. With the aussie 22 ammo gone that I was quite happy with I am looking for something to replace the few boxes I have left.
    Havent seen anything shoot quite so poorly from 5he Stirling
    I am more concerned about the misfire and fail to fire