Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Calling all ballistics experts

  1. #1
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,454

    Calling all ballistics experts

    Hi Team so iv had a 7mm RM for a year or so & I haven't had much luck dialling it if I use the shooter app its telling me with a 200y zero , at 400y it is -16 low at 500y -31.9 low so that = 3.8moa & 6.1 to bring it up to zero ..yet iv just done a bit of a drop chart today & its pretty much half of what the app is telling me so the actual drop is 8 inches low at 400 , & at 500 its 15.5 " iv checked all the info that I have put into the app it all seems correct :
    bullet diameter 0.284
    weight 162 eld-x
    vel 3130.00
    bc 0.6300
    zero at 200y

    I use the same app for the 308 it works really well so its got me stumped ! not sure if it makes a diff but the barrel is 26" long...thoughts ?
    What is the cheapest meat you can buy? Deer balls. There under a buck

  2. #2
    Member 199p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,802
    This is what shooter gave me with your data

    400y drop 16.0" or 3.8moa
    500y drop 31.9" or 6.1moa
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

  3. #3
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    13,255
    What is the scope you are using?

    Not saying shooter is the best app but it works with 4 calibers I use it for very well as long as the info is correct.

    Half the required dope at those ranges is not load or atmospherics.

    Flattest shooting 7mm mag in history



    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Boaraxa likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  4. #4
    Member 199p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    2,802
    you havnt got it set to 1/2 moa clicks in for the chart?
    veitnamcam and R93 like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    648
    Yep your data does seem right, but then real world results are telling you different. You'll just have to use the true data ( from your drop chart ) to dial hits.
    But I would replicate the results again and try dialing with those data.

    ie; reconfirm what you got from your fired drop chart.
    6mm ackley likes this.

  6. #6
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    18,660
    What are the atmospherics? are you sure your 200y yard zero is bang on and conditions for zero are entered? is the scope adjusting correctly? is your speed accurate/how was it measured?

    If its out it can be adjusted/trued back but it shouldnt be 50% out!
    Friwi and Boaraxa like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  7. #7
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    This is what shooter gave me with your data

    400y drop 16.0" or 3.8moa
    500y drop 31.9" or 6.1moa
    Yep that what mine is telling me as well but using it shoots high.
    What is the cheapest meat you can buy? Deer balls. There under a buck

  8. #8
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    18,660
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    What are the atmospherics? are you sure your 200y yard zero is bang on and conditions for zero are entered? is the scope adjusting correctly? is your speed accurate/how was it measured?

    If its out it can be adjusted/trued back but it shouldnt be 50% out!
    My freinds vx3 is marked 1/4moa but adjusts 1/2 moa which led to some WTFs sighting in, second hand so maybe some swapping of turrets went on or I dunno.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  9. #9
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,984
    I know nothing...but...have you validated your fps with an alternative chrono?
    chainsaw likes this.

  10. #10
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    What is the scope you are using?

    Not saying shooter is the best app but it works with 4 calibers I use it for very well as long as the info is correct.

    Half the required dope at those ranges is not load or atmospherics.

    Flattest shooting 7mm mag in history



    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Go the browning hells cannon ! iv got a meopta 6-18x50 initially I thought perhaps the scope wasn't dialling correctly theres a chance its not , however by just doing the drop chart today at those two ranges vs the app im thinking something else is up...could be a browning 7Rm for sale starting price 7k...possibly a trade for a blazer in the same cal
    What is the cheapest meat you can buy? Deer balls. There under a buck

  11. #11
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    13,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Go the browning hells cannon ! iv got a meopta 6-18x50 initially I thought perhaps the scope wasn't dialling correctly theres a chance its not , however by just doing the drop chart today at those two ranges vs the app im thinking something else is up...could be a browning 7Rm for sale starting price 7k...possibly a trade for a blazer in the same cal
    Won't be the rifle or ammo. It will be a scope or data issue.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and johnd like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  12. #12
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I know nothing...but...have you validated your fps with an alternative chrono?
    Hi Tahr , not as such though my mate spent some time coming up with the load for me tested quite a few loads so I would be supprised if it was that far out but defiantly something for consideration .

    I just checked the info VC & its set on 1/4 so that looks correct .
    Tahr likes this.
    What is the cheapest meat you can buy? Deer balls. There under a buck

  13. #13
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    18,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Hi Tahr , not as such though my mate spent some time coming up with the load for me tested quite a few loads so I would be supprised if it was that far out but defiantly something for consideration .

    I just checked the info VC & its set on 1/4 so that looks correct .
    Set up rifle on target @100y and a target with say a line 5 inches up and 10 inches up(10.47 inches if being pedantic) and adjust up 5moa and 10 moa and see if xhairs are lining up on the lines above.
    johnd, mikee, Dr. Watson and 7 others like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  14. #14
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,473
    +1 calibrate your scope for dial up. That’s a huge discrepancy.
    Also suggest the muzzle velocity and bc quoted are a tad optimistic .
    Don’t know about the bc for ELDx but Hornady overstated the old 162 AMAX by quite a bit.

  15. #15
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Hi Tahr , not as such though my mate spent some time coming up with the load for me tested quite a few loads so I would be supprised if it was that far out but defiantly something for consideration .

    I just checked the info VC & its set on 1/4 so that looks correct .
    I asked because I'm fiddling with an XBolt in 270wsm at the moment and it has a very tight and short chamber. So I loaded to ADI max and saami length and the velocity was 140 fps more than I predicted and what quick load predicted. I'm now 10 thou under saami length which is just touching the lands and 3 grns off max and the velocity is still a little bit over the book max load.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FN FAL experts ?
    By riflegus in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 07:30 PM
  2. Help please from out AR experts!
    By Tikka7mm08 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 21-05-2016, 08:54 AM
  3. Tech experts here please
    By moonhunt in forum Resource Library
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20-08-2013, 09:43 PM
  4. Any chicken experts out there?
    By Splash in forum Off topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-03-2013, 06:22 AM
  5. calling all experts
    By woompha in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-12-2012, 11:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!