Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Canterbury- Ranges

Canterbury- Ranges

Where does everyone shoot in Canterbury? I haven't ever been on a range, only ever out on the good old bush and mountain ranges, I live in Rolleston so wouldn't mind abit of range time every now and then.

Cheers

Tian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant you use the army range? Someone at the nzda range at, McLean's mentioned going out there to 600m

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Cant you use the army range? Someone at the nzda range at, McLean's mentioned going out there to 600m
    They want range rco's, medical on stand by ect ect, just a massive pain and not really worth the hassle to be honest!

Rwt
    They run service rifle shoots there but they wont allow hunting rifles at the time. You can talk to the range officer directly but it can be tricky.
    I use the Handloaders range. Once your a member you get a key and can use the range when you want. They are currently building a 200m range.

Awesome where's the hand loaders range? Sounds like an ideal place!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by TianBotha View Post
    They want range rco's, medical on stand by ect ect, just a massive pain and not really worth the hassle to be honest!

Yes but to be fair it's their range so they can do what they want. If you just want access to a range then go pay the $200 to join handloaders but be aware that it's a big club and their range is often busy.

I am a RO at NZDA and live in rolleston so can help you out with occasional access to that range. Do look at it from my point of view though as I have to stand there supervising whoever uses it and while I am always willing to help a brutha out it's not that exciting watching other people shoot.

Ignoring all the other things NZDA is the better range to use as it already has 200m and the enclosed shooting bays in handloaders are LOUD. Handloaders is lit which is useful in winter.

Rwt
    Quote Originally Posted by TianBotha View Post
    Awesome where's the hand loaders range? Sounds like an ideal place!

Handloaders and NZDA range are next door

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    the enclosed shooting bays in handloaders are LOUD. Handloaders is lit which is useful in winter.
    Not as bad as they were with some noise deadening now in place on the walls. The new range, which is under construction, will only be 200y. I like the ability to go pretty much whenever I desire with the Handloaders range.
    TianBotha likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Being able to go to a range on your own must be nice! No one to point and laugh.... Things can seem a little slow moving at the nzda range ( can understand due to safety) if on your own things move much quicker

Being able to go to a range on your own must be nice! No one to point and laugh.... Things can seem a little slow moving at the nzda range ( can understand due to safety) if on your own things move much quicker
    Yes. Apart from a couple of events each month and the odd closure for work it is available 24/7.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

R93
    Townies and their sandpits.

I just love living on the coast😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    gadgetman, Beaker, Gibo and 3 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If more folk were to get behind the Canterbury Sports Shooting Complex development, this would help. The site is next to the West Melton army range and is planned to include a 1,000m range and several at 200, 300 and 600. Plant a Sporting clay field and pistol bays.

Of course council politics is the current hurdle, but with enough support, hopefully this all happens. It's a long term project.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Yes but to be fair it's their range so they can do what they want. If you just want access to a range then go pay the $200 to join handloaders but be aware that it's a big club and their range is often busy.

I am a RO at NZDA and live in rolleston so can help you out with occasional access to that range. Do look at it from my point of view though as I have to stand there supervising whoever uses it and while I am always willing to help a brutha out it's not that exciting watching other people shoot.

Ignoring all the other things NZDA is the better range to use as it already has 200m and the enclosed shooting bays in handloaders are LOUD. Handloaders is lit which is useful in winter.
    Do I need to join NZDA to use there range? I'm planning to join them anyway(just waiting for them to reply to get the forms)
    Have you been to NZDA range? I have been to handloaders twice now and wait there is so long

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    If more folk were to get behind the Canterbury Sports Shooting Complex development, this would help. The site is next to the West Melton army range and is planned to include a 1,000m range and several at 200, 300 and 600. Plant a Sporting clay field and pistol bays.

Of course council politics is the current hurdle, but with enough support, hopefully this all happens. It's a long term project.
    How do I sign up?
    Beaker likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by GNAR View Post
    Do I need to join NZDA to use there range? I'm planning to join them anyway(just waiting for them to reply to get the forms)
    Have you been to NZDA range? I have been to handloaders twice now and wait there is so long
    You don't need to be a member but it does make the fees cheaper ($5 instead of $20). I have been to both ranges many times and prefer the NZDA one. As people have said the pace is a lot slower and they are more saftey concious but there are more shooting bays and you are not fighting for a spot with the rest of Chch trying our their new tacticool SKS from gun city. 13th Aug is the next public day at NZDA. They also run a second day per month for club members and other than that you have to be a RO or ask one nicely to use the range.
    GNAR likes this.