Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Casings considered ammunition?

Casings considered ammunition?

Gidday all,
    Asking on behalf of a mate. Just wondering if anyone knows if spent casings are considered ammunition under law, do you need a license to be in possession of them? From what I can gather you don't but thought it was worth tapping into the knowledge on here.
    Cheers

unless it has a live primer and powder its not ammo. an empty case fitted with a projectile is not ammunition

Awesome that was my assumption, cheers mate

Retard Me seems to think so.

I went to ask about an ornamental non functioning miniature cannon constructed from empty rifle cartridges of various size that was advertised on TM.

Only Retard Me wanted me to list my firearm license before I would be allowed to ask the question.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Part of the issue is the seller lists in the section which requires a FA licence to buy or ask questions. I think they do this in the mistaken belief that their listed item will get more exposure in that section.

A few months ago a guy was listing wooden toy guns and they too were in the FA licence section. And the wooden guns were abviously toys not well constructed lookalike ARs.

But of course, after me typing all that it could just be Tardme being dicks and usual.

Ya know, the old Cheech and Chong looks like a gun, feels like a gun, tastes like a gun.....

Have hear dog empty brass being confiscated by airlines so guess it depends who you met and if they are in a which side of the bed they got up on

yes, I've also had one random time flying out of Queenstown where AvSec decided empty brass was "dangerous" and confiscated it from checked luggage. Even though I had declared and registered that in same bag I was carrying live ammo and also checked in a firearm for same flight, having notified them several weeks in advance I was doing so.
    I only found out that the empty brass had been removed on arrival at destination. Kicked up a fuss and after many, many emails finally got the "dangerous" brass returned to me via courier. Go figure ?!

Yeah, it seems AVSEC declares empty cases 'imitation ammunition' so you are allowed to have it in checked baggage but not carry on so that it doesnt 'alarm other passengers'. I don't doubt that individual airline policies differ from this however.

so how do you go about displaying live rounds should you have a collection of sorts ... or is that just a plain old no ? My daughter has started a collection of spent cases, she digs around at the range looking for calibres she doesn't have and asks everyone if they have any old cases she can have , She has around 10 calibres now. But we have also been given a few old odd rounds , such as military rounds fitted with wooden projectiles .... so I assume these need to be under lock and key as they are at the moment in my safe but she is not happy about that. Is it possible to display live rounds in a locking clear cabinet ?
    born to hunt - forced to work

According to aviation laws any cartridge componant is classed as a "ammunition" and is thus not allowed as carry on. It may be stored in your checked bags.

Brings back memories of flying to Queensland to shoot at Belmont. The Aussie ADI factory (adi 91) 7.62 cases were just being put in a drum for recycling so we ended up pouring them through our rifle cases with big bags of them in our luggage. Due to the weight factor the live ammo that I had left over had to go into my hand luggage....amazing what happened pre 911

The retards in the Border Force confiscated my modified, threaded cases from my reloading kit when I moved to Aus. Some clown decided they were dangerous and shut the inspection facility down resulting in an $800 fine. Refused to pay, and you guessed it, belongings won’t be released until you do and storage fees begin. State sponsored robbery by uninformed stupidity. They even admitted there was no risk.

You must declare ammo or components to airlines but it’s perfectly legal to have up to 5Kg in hold luggage with appropriate licences.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    The retards in the Border Force confiscated my modified, threaded cases from my reloading kit when I moved to Aus. Some clown decided they were dangerous and shut the inspection facility down resulting in an $800 fine. Refused to pay, and you guessed it, belongings won’t be released until you do and storage fees begin. State sponsored robbery by uninformed stupidity. They even admitted there was no risk.

You must declare ammo or components to airlines but it’s perfectly legal to have up to 5Kg in hold luggage with appropriate licences.
    Surely they are 'measuring devices' made from cases ?? Like a ball point pen can be made from a case

You might think so but they disagreed, despite me pointing out that they are openly available to anyone in Australia and can never be loaded as the bases are drilled out and threaded so could not contain powder or seat a primer. Typical poorly trained, uniformed government department employees with more authority than common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    You might think so but they disagreed, despite me pointing out that they are openly available to anyone in Australia and can never be loaded as the bases are drilled out and threaded so could not contain powder or seat a primer. Typical poorly trained, uniformed government department employees with more authority than common sense.
    Interesting one because if you send cases to die makers in USA eg Lee, Hornady, to have custom dies made they advise that you must drill out the primer pockets otherwise the cases will be confiscated at entry.