Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By LJP
  • 1 Post By johnino
  • 1 Post By LJP
  • 2 Post By NZVarminter

Thread: Does SST and Amax have the same drop out to 1000 yards

Does SST and Amax have the same drop out to 1000 yards

I've done load development for my 7mm Mag based on actual SST performance since it was all I could get.
    Now Amax is starting to become more available and it was what I was been recommended as the best hunting projectile for my needs.
    Does anyone know absolutely whether the two projectiles drop the same over a thousand yards and all points in between? Or would I have to create a new drop chart?

LJP
    Definitely a new drop chart required. The BC on the SST & Amax is vastly different - The Amax will shoot flatter than the SST due to less drag.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Definitely a new drop chart required. The BC on the SST & Amax is vastly different - The Amax will shoot flatter than the SST due to less drag.
    Agree, I shoot both from my 2 7mm mag and they are very different.

Thanks guys. Perriscaba do you use the same powder and amount for both or is grouping different too?

Hi @johnino,
    I do use the same powder and the results are the same for me. It just "change" if I change the seating depth, like for my hunting to my "LR". Velocities sometimes vary but not much, maybe 100ft/s

Quote Originally Posted by johnino View Post
    Thanks guys. Perriscaba do you use the same powder and amount for both or is grouping different too?

Here it is the proof @johnino,
    Shot these groups two days ago, and the velocities are the same too.
    Name:  IMG_1050.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  352.4 KBName:  IMG_1051.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  439.0 KB
    The funny story in these groups is, as i did seat it "longer" than the normal(3.300" normal and 3.385" long) the SST's show signs of pressure(bolt marks in the brass).

Mac
    P.S.: I know the groups looks "different" regards accuracy but that was "me". The first group with the SST's was my first shooting for the afternoon and my rifle was without the suppressor i normally use, so it was "bare rifle".

Thanks for that. Give me a day or two to mull that over. I might have some follow up questions.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

@johnino, as you "requested", LOL, i did load few rounds for my 7mm Mag and did a little try early today.
    The load is my accuracy load for hunting and can be described better when i shoot with my suppressor on. Today i was shooting my .223, my 7mm-08 and my 7mm Mag, so by the end my shoulder was a bit sore.

The test was with the following Projectiles, Amax, Match and SST shooting from my Tikka T3 Varmint in 7mm Rem Mag.

The first shots was with the AMAX's. The very first shot i did use my suppressor knowing that it could be heretic as it has some issues going on.

First go, Amax's. Velocities = 2815, 2856, 2865, 2932 - A bit all over i know.
    Name:  IMG_1061.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  582.3 KB

Second out was the Match. Velocities = 2880, 2880, 2842, 2877 - A bit more "stable" velocities.
    Name:  IMG_1062.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  591.9 KB

Third out, SST's. Velocities = 2911, 2858, 2902, 2855.(This round has been great and "stable" regards velocity, accuracy and pressure, but lately it has been also heretic and showing signs of pressure(bolt head on the base of the brass. Maybe because i am loading it "longer" than my hunting load)
    Name:  IMG_1063.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  594.0 KB

Hope you can take some info regards your doubts and it will help you. Work your loads slowly, sometimes the best accuracy isn't in the highest velocity.

All the best.

Mauricio "Mac"

Mille grazie mi amici. What is the measurement off the lands that is working best for you?

My magazine fits up to 3.300", best on my hunting rifle 3.280" - 3.300"(touching lens is 3.400" with SST's). Amax's is, ops, lost it for a moment, will tell you later… Match projectile, it is my very first time, will work out sometime soon, however it work well in its first go.

LJP
    Amax's normally shoot well right on the lands. However this isn't possible in most rifles - the good news is that often a magazine length load will still give the accuracy you need. I've had some super accurate loads with some pretty large jumps. Normally I would trial 0.005" jump, .015", .030",.060", .90" & .120" & settle at what shoots most consistently.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

assume your first target groups with both AMax and SSt are at 100m?. You not going to see ANY difference due to BC till you shoot on paper past 300m! and even then the diff is still small. Need to shoot them on paper past 500 to see the real world difference in drop due to bc for same velocity.
    PERRISCICABA and deye223 like this.