Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Driven boar shooting

Driven boar shooting

I know it's old, but boy this guy can shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43aF4R0h40
    Norway likes this.

I'd love to do this
    VIVA LA HOWA

Yup, he's good alright.

Kj

What a marksman. Very impressive shooting

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    fuck I hate seeing that, stopped about half way thru totally disgusted with the shit. Go plink targets, retard
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    fuck I hate seeing that, stopped about half way thru totally disgusted with the shit. Go plink targets, retard
    No offence, but I'm curious to know why?

I wouldn't call it hunting, but see it as a method of reducing their wild pig population and it looks quite effective.
    Savage1 and Nibblet like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

we're poles apart Josh, in your case where you have a pig problem, then culling them by humane means is acceptable sometimes necessary. Me I'm a sometime pig hunter for sport Dogs ,table etc. Up here the pig numbers are limited. I have just been out now for 3hrs and didn't get the dogs on to a pig. I know the area and expected a run. When I see a guy sitting in a stand shooting pigs (very impressively) it just saddens and sickens me. To me it's kill for look at me sake. I had the unpleasant experience this year of being involved with such a hunter. Yes he wanted a kiwi experience ,yes he could handle a bit of the rough stuff. Well fuck me all he could talk and drink about was the great hunting they do and how satisfying it was. Yet on the kiwi safari the dude wouldn't even leave the walking track by himself, and the distance he walked was only 200mtrs from me then fuck this he says it's a bit to hard basket. I guess over seas hide shooting is deemed to be sporting with driven hunts the norm, but to me this subsistence hunter of way to many years, it just saddens and sickens me.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

So chasing a pig with dogs n holding them is humane......?? Overseas driven hunts as josh said is a way of reducing wild pig populations as in some areas they have real issues n the pork is not wasted n to be fair these pigs would piss over the average nz pig dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blaser, NRT, Savage1 and 3 others like this.

wat eva
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

And chasing pigs with dogs here is another means/way of controlling/harvesting the pig population here as I don't think too many people would fancy being a 'beater' chasing pigs through thick scrub gorse etc to some dude waiting to shoot them. Horses for courses.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    we're poles apart Josh, in your case where you have a pig problem, then culling them by humane means is acceptable sometimes necessary. Me I'm a sometime pig hunter for sport Dogs ,table etc. Up here the pig numbers are limited. I have just been out now for 3hrs and didn't get the dogs on to a pig. I know the area and expected a run. When I see a guy sitting in a stand shooting pigs (very impressively) it just saddens and sickens me. To me it's kill for look at me sake. I had the unpleasant experience this year of being involved with such a hunter. Yes he wanted a kiwi experience ,yes he could handle a bit of the rough stuff. Well fuck me all he could talk and drink about was the great hunting they do and how satisfying it was. Yet on the kiwi safari the dude wouldn't even leave the walking track by himself, and the distance he walked was only 200mtrs from me then fuck this he says it's a bit to hard basket. I guess over seas hide shooting is deemed to be sporting with driven hunts the norm, but to me this subsistence hunter of way to many years, it just saddens and sickens me.
    Fair enough. I wouldn't like it seen where pig numbers were low so definitely see where you're coming from. If they're culling/shooting them for management reasons I'm happy with it, but like you, if it's for sh*ts and giggles and ego's I'm not so keen. Like any game animal in NZ I appreciate them as a resource rather than a pest, even though they do a lot more damage than deer etc.
    Nibblet likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Ejected
    WTF is up with everyone. Driven bore is how they do it over there and how they have done it for hundreds of years. The game populations are managed for this sort of hunting. How is it less ethical than shooting anything else by any other method in this universe?
    Blaser, Savage1, Toby and 1 others like this.

Just imagine what they think of the people over here letting dogs bail/hold them and then going in and sticking them with a knife. I don't do either but I know which one I'd rather do.
    Bryan, Toby and Sasquatch like this.

I'm just giggling about 'these pigs would piss over the average nz pig dog' story...
    I caught a pig today chaps. I'm happy but wet.
    Dan M

I've actually done this myself in France. They use mongrel chasing dogs to drive the boar, all they do is trail bark behind the boar....driving it towards the guns.

I really enjoyed it and it certainly wasn't easy. That guy in the vid was filmed for a reason...he's the man at that style of shooting.

Driven boar is the style of hunting they developed for hunting and has gone on for centuries in Europe. I have no problem with it myself, and compared to nz pig hunting its a lot cleaner all round. I personally don't mind the nz style either (my family were all pig hunters, I even have some home movie footage from my grandfather from the 1950`s, which I reckon would be some of the earliest pig hunting footage in nz). But from an animal ethics point of view I think driven boar is cleaner.

Anyway, that dude could shoot.having done it myself I know how hard it is and he made it look easy.

Kj
    Last edited by kimjon; 12-05-2015 at 07:46 PM.
    Blaser and Toby like this.