Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 16 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tentman

Thread: Fortrose Shooting Sports - 2020 Jungle Lane Shoot

Fortrose Shooting Sports - 2020 Jungle Lane Shoot

What a great day out !!

First time I'd been to one of these shoots which involve using your 22 RF to shoot about 200 rounds at 20 plus positions of a*few standing, several kneeling/sitting and a lot prone, ranges from 30M to 250M.

It was windy - Did I say WINDY.* I learnt more about shooting in the wind in one day than I have from many thousands of rounds fired in the field and on ranges over 40 years.

The shoot is a privately run event (by Harry Hoover) and you just pay and rock up.* All the targets are reactive steel types and in a bewildering array of configurations - certainly enough to keep the bunch of kids competing from getting bored, much less old farts like me.

We arrived at about 8.00, were shooting by 8.30 and finished about 4.30 with only a quick break for lunch, so it was a fairly big day, not physically but in terms of concentration.

For me, one of the best things was squading with Jake, a pretty inspirational youngish guy. He was a previous winner and uses very modest equipment (a Norinco JW15 with a 3-9 Ranger scope, shooting CCI Std Vel) to very good effect. Dammit he won again this year with the same kit !! Proved once and for all that 99% of shooting is based on expertise and knowledge, rather than equipment. He beat a whole bunch of folks who were using fancy, expensive kit - you can't buy your way into winning this contest!

We also had a fairly new shooter in our squad, and with mainly Jake's coaching, he also shot a very respectable score, proving if you're prepared to listen to advice and "focus" then anybody can do it.

I must admit to being a bit skeptical about these sorts of shoots but I can say now that I'm a convert, I'd heartily encourage anybody who wants to rapidly improve their marksmanship to have a go.

Cheers (and I'll post photos when I get them)

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good stuff
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Huk
    That sounds like a great fun day

Whens the next shoot

The "Jungle Lane" is usually the last weekend each February, but I think he holds smaller shoots periodically. His website is www.junglelane.co.nz and he's on FB.
    Last edited by Tentman; 23-02-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Bugger! Missed the memo about this being on (not that I could have attended this time around). I must get on the list for the next event
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

yeap have had other event booked that weekend for a while. was hoping things would move them but didn't happen. Pretty keen to do one. Will be having more Section22 events on this year too.

Next year its 27 Feb 2021 . . . . .

Analysis of the results is interesting. The winner scored 750 out of 925 possible points. He dropped 100 points on a "know your limits" and 15 points on a target where you get max points if you can put your first shot through a 75mm square hole at 150M (in a lot of wind) - the rest from misc misses. All done with a Norinco and Ranger scope with no parallax adjustment. A fantastic effort and as I've mentioned, superb wind reading skills.

I finished on 695 points with a lot more misses (but a "lucky" result on a 100 point "know your limits") and that was only good enough for 3rd overall (2nd in open). That was with an "Annie" 1416 and a pretty decent scope - a Clear-Ridge 4.5-14 XP Ultra - thanks @nor-west so basically I was humbled . . . . . along with a lot of blokes and blokesses.
    jakewire likes this.

Wow, Fortrose is within driving distance from here, would live to have a crack at it.’!

When’s the next one and how do you get there etc?

Oops just saw the next date in the post above.

It was fun, got to the .22 shoot on the Saturday. Hilarious shooting .22LR at over 100m with an onshore cross wind at 90 degrees to your shots. Had to hold 5 mil dots left of one target. .22LR rocks. Saw some really good shooting by some really old guys.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch