Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By Tentman

Thread: A good day out

A good day out

Most people wouldn't be aware of the Invercargill Rifle Club, just a few guys who like to shoot targets with mostly target style rifles (although we don't have many/any NRA style left). The club dates back to the 1870's at least and its range is within city limits (although run under pretty strict protocols because of that).

Today we had a an "ANZAC" day shoot - 7 guys with a few Lee Enfields (1893 to 1943 I think) and a Mosin. We shot 5 rounds standing at 100, 5 kneeling/sitting at 200 and 5 prone at 300. Most (but not all, much mirth to the guy who fluked hitting the electric fence wire that protects the backstop - it was suggested he cheated by sending down a tumbling projectile) rounds were at least within the target frames and scores were modest to say the least. Cut-down rifles accepted, but no optical sights.

Its surprising how much fun it was, I was shooting with cut down No 3 Mk I (firing CAC MkVII ball) that my father bought in 1952 and would have taken deer at each range (not with every shot though!!).

Mostly guys in there 50's but any younger ones would have been very welcome - if we'd needed something a bit more exciting we were going to have a "mad magazine" rapid fire.

All followed by a BBQ and a beer (rifles put away).

I write this up because I think as shooters its very easy to be a bit defensive and not want to try different things given the current social and political climate - however the way to break (ourselves at least) out of this mindset is "get out there and do stuff"

Sounds like a lot of fun. It would be rather challenging with open sights for us old fellas but then that's what it's all about, getting out there and enjoying a bit of shooting.