Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hoge vs Synthetic Stocks

Hoge vs Synthetic Stocks

Is a hoge stock really worth it or is it a gucci gimmick? What do you guys reckon for a rifle that is going to get bashed around in the bush, get wet etc?

I love the look of a nice wooden stock but I think I'd be too hard on it. Just been window shopping at the local H&F shop in Hutt Valley...plenty of toys on the Christmas list
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I havnt tryed a hoge but they are meant to be very gripy when wet, Just like the new Sako 85 inserts ect.

Bell and Carlson have a very similar coating on many of there stocks and are lighter in weight I think.

Huge fan of the houge. Got one on my Ruger and Howa. Grips well, feels great to shoot. Beats the regular synthetic stocks hands down.

Sweet. The dude at H&F said he'd sell me the hoge version of the Ruger 10 .22 I was looking at for only an extra fifty. I figured that might be a goer compared to some prices I've previously seen. He also took another $30 off an already heavily discounted item I bought today, he must be a sucker for blue eyes
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Had a hogue 10/22 and loved it. Really hard to abuse it, great grip in all weathers. Very comfortable.
    Pity the ali bedded version for centrefires is so expensive.

They're horrible gimmicky rubber coated nasty plastic stocks, and if you get the aluminum chassis one which costs like 2/3 as much as a McMillan it weighs like 4 pounds. There's no reason to buy one ever (except on a 10/22)

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    They're horrible gimmicky rubber coated nasty plastic stocks, and if you get the aluminum chassis one which costs like 2/3 as much as a McMillan it weighs like 4 pounds. There's no reason to buy one ever (except on a 10/22)
    I'm totally confised now! Why is a 10 .22 an exception??

Because it doesn't matter

Cos the non ali bedded hogue is flexi as a Visa card, and A 10/22 action only has 1 screw in it, so you ain't going to affect the barrel or accuracy with it and a 16in barrel.

On the other hand I'm scared of a carbon or fibre glass stock on the 243 because I'd be frighten of the damage it could take if I'm scrambling around after wallabies and goats or bush bashing on Mt Thomas.

Ah roger, cheers Scott. After a play with Dundee's 12g I think maybe in the future I might add one to the Christmas list but for now all I was really asking about was on a .22 or even .223.

I've been up Mt Thomas a few times when I lived down your way, tis a pain that it's taking me a while to find my feet in Wellington.

You could do better than a poxy 10/22 don't know why H&f push those things, the triggers are heavy and in desperate need of trigger job or aftermarket trigger installation. Better off with a marlin or a savage.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I don't know what it's called but have you seen a .22 (or anything I guess) with like a skeleton stock? I've shot a 10/22 with one, it was really cool with sort of like a pistol grip created from the body of the stock essentially not being there.

Does this sort of stock have a name? I'd fancy something like that but might be heavier in the barrel end, I can't pick it from memory though. Seemed alright I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    You could do better than a poxy 10/22 don't know why H&f push those things, the triggers are heavy and in desperate need of trigger job or aftermarket trigger installation. Better off with a marlin or a savage.
    In a lot of cases you need to spend the same amount as you paid for a 10/22 on making them shoot. Marlin Savage or find a older brno etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I don't know what it's called but have you seen a .22 (or anything I guess) with like a skeleton stock? I've shot a 10/22 with one, it was really cool with sort of like a pistol grip created from the body of the stock essentially not being there.

Does this sort of stock have a name? I'd fancy something like that but might be heavier in the barrel end, I can't pick it from memory though. Seemed alright I guess!
    Yep skeleton or draganov stocks. Not that nice to hold for a few hrs.

and possibly could be banned in the next firearms bill. I've "upgraded" my 10/22 to a JW15
    veitnamcam likes this.