Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Gkp
  • 1 Post By Mick Hunter
  • 1 Post By Trout

Thread: HORNADY WHITE TAIL 165GR

HORNADY WHITE TAIL 165GR

With the cost and availability of ammo living where i do.I decided to change from SSTs to SPs.Some SSTs tend to pencil on the smaller deer and are about $20 to $30+ dearer than the SPs a pkt.
    After giving the 308 a gentle clean,went to the range this morning,little breeze from left to right will allow a 5mm error more to left.Fired a couple of fouling shots,let the barrel rest for 5 minuts,then fired 5 shots and got this little group.The vixon scope and the SPs seem to work well together.No more touching scope for a few months i hope.Now for some fallow steaks.Name:  20210419_164533.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  334.1 KB
    Tahr, Brian, Pengy and 5 others like this.

I often use the 150gr and they work just fine, on white tail as the packet says! Even in a tikka its minute of deer and any errors I wouldn't blame on the rifle

You can shoot alright, Mr Trout.

Gkp
    They do bloody good factory ammo I give them that. The 168 precision hunter is a winner too
    Trout likes this.

Like everybody here,its our sport and hobby, its what we do.Keep our rifles in tune and shoot for the freezer or trophys.

I used 139gr soft pouts in my 708 for many years when I reloaded and had good results.
    With not firing the rounds through it any more decided to buy factory ammo and tried a few before if tried the American whitetail with the 139sp and it shot well and preformed well
    Name:  EE8B09CD-9AC9-4AE7-9351-7ADCE5A72CC8.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  3.40 MB
    Trout likes this.

Good Choice. i can tell you this, i mainly (99.8%} bush hunt and even thou the ultimate bush cal is a 243 (esp with 100gr Fed powershoks) i still have a 223 and a 308.

With the 308 i have been using 165 gr ssts and i can tell you this.
    As a bush round they are crap! Ok, maybe because they superperforance and i have a 24 inch barrel they are flying (close to 2800fps). They just going to fast and are pretty darn average
    at genral bush ranges.
    Ive lost 2 deer hit what should have been hit well and had so many run, even hit in middle of shoulder it was disappointing.
    The whole idea was using the sst was because the 308 was going to be the "long range option"but after many hunts, and a number of animals i have only shot them at bush ranges and
    my 243 with its 100gr SP eats these 165gr for breakfast.
    Longer range the sst is great(did shoot a bull thar at 310m and pole axed it) but bush ranges, it kills, but not great compared to the best ammo for short range and thats softpoints.

Hence, have no changed ammo in the 308 and have gone with fed fusions in 165gr.
    Havnt shot a animal with it yet but im sure they do the job better for me than the sst.
    Still, speed seems to be the issue, so if they not going as fast as my rifle flys them out im sure they be better..... my 2 cents

Hi there 243,iv shot a few deer(200 at least) using the ssts 165gr,only 3 yrs ago,i dropped down to the 150gr ssts,cause the Timaru shops dont sell ssts165gr.SSTS very fast powerfull ammo,but just toooooo powerfull inside 200yds,penciled are few deer.Most of my deer now are inside 200yds now.So the white tail soft point,not so explosive on the deer close in,accurate and easier to get from chch.Timaru shops dont give you a lot of options and their prices are high.
    Last edited by Trout; 19-04-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    deer243 likes this.