Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: How to manage recoil?

How to manage recoil?

Hi, my current long range rifle is a 308 Tikka T3x superlite with a muzzle brake.

The recoil is too much for my shoulder to handle. Is a matter of time it will be dislocated. What can I do to manage the recoil?

Thanks.

Thicker softer recoil pad?
    sheep likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Try a suppressor rather than muzzle brake .
    Bit of extra weight may help mitigate some recoil.
    And be easier on everyone's hearing....
    timattalon, rewa, nowool and 2 others like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Hey sheep.
    That rifle, caliber, and brake combination should be relatively mild to shoot.
    First thing to check is you are using hearing protection. Suggest both ear plugs and muffs. A lot of perceived recoil is noise and concussion. With a muzzle brake you have an abundance of both.
    Second Tikka's recoil pad is quite stiff. Get a limbsaver. You can buy them as a bolt on pre-sized part.

Next I would focus on shooting technique and body position both of which can significantly impact perceived recoil.

Have you got an experienced shooter than can go out for a few shots with you?
    Last edited by Makros; 22-08-2021 at 06:51 PM.
    veitnamcam, Rich007, mucko and 9 others like this.

Get a heavier stock as well. That will soak up some recoil. If it's a range rifle weight shouldn't be an issue. Maybe get one of those 6.5's instead ?
    rewa and sheep like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    Hi, my current long range rifle is a 308 Tikka T3x superlite with a muzzle brake.

The recoil is too much for my shoulder to handle. Is a matter of time it will be dislocated. What can I do to manage the recoil?

Thanks.
    Get a silicone shotgun pad that straps to your shoulder
    rewa and sheep like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Is it a factory tikka radial muzzle break? If so, I don't think they do much.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Puffin, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Hey sheep.
    That rifle, caliber, and brake combination should be relatively mild to shoot.
    First thing to check is you are using hearing protection. Suggest both ear plugs and muffs. A lot of perceived recoil is noise and concussion. With a muzzle brake you have an abundance of both.
    Second Tikka's recoil pad is quite stiff. Get a limbsaver. You can buy them as a bolt on pre-sized part.

Next I would focus on shooting technique and body position both of which can significantly impacted perceived recoil.

Have you got an experienced shooter than can go out for a few shots with you?
    I was wearing ear plugs. Will fine tune my shooting technique and body position. Good advise mate. Thanks.
    jpurdon likes this.

Will get a suppressor after lockdown. Cheers.
    300CALMAN likes this.

I was wearing ear plugs. Will fine tune my shooting technique and body position. Good advise mate. Thanks.
    Yup - good advice right there, to which I add - shoot a 22 plenty. The hearing protection cannot be over emphasized, plugs and muffs are essential for a sensitive shooter on the range/practising
    Pixie Z and sheep like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Get a heavier stock as well. That will soak up some recoil. If it's a range rifle weight shouldn't be an issue. Maybe get one of those 6.5's instead ?
    This is a hunting rifle, prefer light weight. Yes, I am thinking of getting a 6.5.
    Stavanger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Is it a factory tikka radial muzzle break? If so, I don't think they do much.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Yes, factory tikka radial muzzle brake. Will be getting a suppressor after lockdown. Hope it helps to manage recoil.

Shooting with a loudner hanging off the front, wear plugs AND earmuffs. And everything alse everyone else has said. That rig should not be too bad a recoiler.
    6x47, Micky Duck and sheep like this.

What is the brake? A radial wont do much for you over a suppressor, a quality brake like a t2 terminator would turn it into a pussycat.
    Good hearing protection is a absolute must with a brake.....a lot of "perceived " recoil is just the noise and blast.
    Micky Duck and sheep like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Biggest way to reduce recoil is reduce bullet weight. Recoil pad, technique, brake etc all good recommendations. Bullet weight will make them all more effective by a lot. Maybe look at the 130gn weight? Still get you out pretty far/ with in practical 308 ranges anyway.
    flock, Jaco Goosen, rewa and 3 others like this.