Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By steven
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 3 Post By Digit
  • 2 Post By Looseunit

Thread: interesting articles on accurateshooter over the last few days

ebf
    7mmsaum, camo wsm and steven like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Interesting on the ogive, I had missed anything pointing out secant had a disadvantage. The Nossler 155gr used for Palma are tangent and the HBC secant, that's worth worth 100fps at 1000yds on the same 45gr 2208 load just keeping it supersonic. I wonder if the HBC is a mix or pure secant. Interesting that the seating depth can be picky, I have just been setting to OAL for both as its the club guns. Could explain why some ppl think the Nossler maybe better at 500yds or less.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

The torture test is just a joke really, its not performed on a big sample with the same experiment...ie exact drop, force and impact surface etc.

its just abuse by a wallet warrior idiot trying to justify his spend IMHO.
    Uplandstalker likes this.

I think a lot of moden scope could handle that test. I guess some are not will to create a video on it.

ebf
    HBC diagrams in Litz book look pure secant to me, radius is 4.590. Ballistics and performance wise the HBC is a match for the 155 Scenar.

There are some gains to be had in heavier projectiles for FTR. AMAX 208 (lot more recoil) and 185 Bergers. The 176 Amax numbers are not worth it if you compare it to HBC.

As an interesting side note, I have not had anywhere near as many problems with seating depth on the HBC as with the Bergers VLD.
    steven likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

The torture is an answer to US optics they did the exact same thing first but i cant find the vid now

@ebf I was shooting Nosslers happily and only went to HBC's to gain velocity at 1000yds, that 100fps (maybe more) kept me supersonic at the same load. I have about 600 nosslers now but I'd like to settle on one projectile, the HBC I think. I cant say I have noticed any loss of accuracy with the HBC so I was either lucky, or indeed they are not as sensitive. Maybe berger is just doing the hyps to sell yet more margin, Im getting very cynical in my old age. I am sticking with 155gr as I want to do TR, but yes FTR isnt so limited so why not go heavier I have read lots to say its worth it.

Extra weight, that aside I find it interesting that the Open class seem to be drifting ever lower in caliber, 6mm, what next 5.56? now that would be interesting. Everyone poo poos the 556, here in NZ anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by deye223 View Post
    The torture is an answer to US optics they did the exact same thing first but i cant find the vid now
    The problem is to get anything meaningful you need to do a repeatable test multiple times on a statistically large enough sample of kit. That's not to say the NF's are not great kit optically, if I was rich no problem. But they are twice the price and more of the mid range optics and that $2k spent elsewhere like an AR15 or something else nice that gives a lot more enjoyment & fun IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    I think a lot of moden scope could handle that test. I guess some are not will to create a video on it.
    +1

I did a far more brutal test with a cheap Leapers airgun scope and it was still fine afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Digit View Post
    +1

I did a far more brutal test with a cheap Leapers airgun scope and it was still fine afterwards.
    we should do a similar one at the 300m shoot next month , pull of our scopes and test them .
    L.R and beagan257 like this.

Been a while since I've shot in that. What toy will you be bringing?

sold the 6XC so might just be the 300 or 338 if theres no wind maybe the 243

Quote Originally Posted by Digit View Post
    Been a while since I've shot in that. What toy will you be bringing?
    you didnt turn up , i was waiting with the ring spanner

I was assembling guns all weekend
    Heard you won though - well done. Greg N dropped in and said it was a close one Good attendance?