Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By outdoorlad

Thread: LAX Firing Range

LAX Firing Range

So I have only ever had a go with a hand gun once & that was in Thailand years ago. I had a spare day today in Los Angeles so went down to the LAX Firing Range after filling out the online waiver form, rocked up with my passport & NZ FAL, they only wanted the passport for ID & then it was "what would you like to try"?

Grabbed a Glock17 in 9mm & a hundred rounds, got a 30sec demo on how to load it & was let loose on my own!
    It's an indoor 30yard range with 15 bays, hook your target on, press the button & out it goes to whatever distance you choose and away you go.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 19833
Size:  919.3 KB

Views: 4009
Size:  869.1 KB

Views: 660
Size:  622.6 KB

Glock
Views: 556
Size:  451.2 KB

After shooting a hundred rounds thru the Glock I swapped it for a SIG226 & got another 100rds & a fresh target. I prefered the Glock over the SIG, seemed to fit me a bit better & I felt I shot better with it, although I did one very good group with it, had 3 misfires with the SIG too, not sure whether it was a weak firing pin or the ammo?

SIG
Views: 571
Size:  437.2 KB

Views: 492
Size:  964.3 KB

Anyway it was a heap of fun & I'll be doing it again, cost me US$88 & it's close to LAX Airport for anyone who's got some time to kill waiting at the airport.
    There were all sorts shooting, from some cops to guys & there girlfriends, from shotguns to AR's & handguns.
    R93, Beaker, shift14 and 1 others like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

R93
    No bad shooting mate. If the target is at 25m it is pretty good.
    You gotta wonder how many rounds those pistols have fired as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    No bad shooting mate. If the target is at 25m it is pretty good.
    You gotta wonder how many rounds those pistols have fired as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Nah it was more like 15m, although I was happy with my 5 shot head group. Lol yeah the SIG seemed to shoot left, not sure if it was me or the gun, most people had there own guns.

Thats pretty darn cheap for 200 rounds. Will have to check it out if I fly to LA again, was just at LAX this year with an 8 hour wait between flights!

@Beetroot be less than $10 for a cab there from the airport, I'll be going again

http://laxrange.com

I went to a LA gun range back in 1996 , it was 6 blocks from the center of downtown LA , in a large wharehouse , they just wanted the same thing , ID or passport , they had a gunshop and rental range & coffee shop all in one , had 30-40 different pistols available to shoot , a lot of yanks would go to try a few models they where thinking of buying , to narrow it down to the right ONE .
    I used new stuff & stuff that was too small to shoot in NZ , ie the S&W 640 hammerless J frame 5 shot 38spl , the new SS PPK , Beretta M21 etc & new Glocks etc .

Just asked for ID , what pistol I wanted , amount of ammo I wanted & type of target I wanted & did I know how to use it , I said yes & tired 6 pistols 1st time , few days later went back again .

From my experience of rental ranges they fall into 2 types , normal local rental ranges ( for locals to use & as such they are quite cheap ) , and the ones geared towards newbies & visitors/tourists ( these ones are very , very expensive , so much so , I usually have a little laugh and wolk straight out , once I see the prices etc ) .