Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Let's see those 284s

Let's see those 284s

Hi folks.

After getting my 300 win mag sorted I've decided I like the idea of having a lighter and compact rifle to shoot out to 800y max on a good day.

Hence going back to what I was going to do originally and build a 284win.

That being said with playing Mickey mouse with rifles and I'm currently speaking to Greg at Terminator products I'd like to see those 284s!

And go!
    199p likes this.

GWH
    I have two

First a M595 in a McMillan Edgetech CF stock. 22" barrel. Really nice.

Then old stumpy the 17" T3 with DPT magnum on it. I shoot 162g Amax at a bit over 2700 from this one, which holds 1000 ft-lb to 800 yards and shoots like this at 400 yards.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Currently doing one at present also with a bit of advice along the way from GWH. Wanted something nice to carry with my rem mag reserved for long range. Settled on this t3 (stug stock to come) with a vx3 and hardy can. Dies and brass enroute with load development to come Name:  20180913_152142.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  7.79 MB

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Currently doing one at present also with a bit of advice along the way from GWH. Wanted something nice to carry with my rem mag reserved for long range. Settled on this t3 (stug stock to come) with a vx3 and hardy can. Dies and brass enroute with load development to come Attachment 95027
    Loose the Factory Tikka rings Cam - When i had them on mine the scope moved in them under recoil. Even with the stainless screws fitted to them they still bind up and dont tighten properly. I replaced with Talleys, all good now.
    muzr257 and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I have two

Then old stumpy the 17" T3 with DPT magnum on it. I shoot 162g Amax at a bit over 2700 from this one, which holds 1000 ft-lb to 800 yards and shoots like this at 400 yards.

Id say the majority will look very similar to the second one pictured here... lol mine is same spec but 19 inch and greystone. Nice accuracy there what load are you running?
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Id say the majority will look very similar to the second one pictured here... lol mine is same spec but 19 inch and greystone. Nice accuracy there what load are you running?
    162g Amax seated out long in the neck only (long throated to suit) 52.5gr H414 with fed 215 mag primers in lapua 6.5x284 brass expanded and neck turned.

rewa likes this.

I have two

Thats some fine shooting, is that a Tikka barrel rechambered?
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Currently doing one at present also with a bit of advice along the way from GWH. Wanted something nice to carry with my rem mag reserved for long range. Settled on this t3 (stug stock to come) with a vx3 and hardy can. Dies and brass enroute with load development to come Attachment 95027
    Can I ask who is going to ream it for you.

Loose the Factory Tikka rings Cam - When i had them on mine the scope moved in them under recoil. Even with the stainless screws fitted to them they still bind up and dont tighten properly. I replaced with Talleys, all good now.
    The talleys are coming with my next lot from gunworks, due in a week or so. I dont trust the tikka rings either
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Can I ask who is going to ream it for you.

Cleland gunsmithing in Hamilton have reamed it for me. All ready for load development now.
    GWH and 25/08IMP like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Thats some fine shooting, is that a Tikka barrel rechambered?
    Yep sure is, I brought it as a 7mm08, it was already cut to 17". I shot it before I had it rechambered and it put 3 in one hole at 100, I almost didn't want to mess with it incase it stuffed it up, but it panned out obviously.

my recent purchase. only just started playing around with loads and it seems to like the 150 gamekings. but for some reason the more powder i put up it the groups blow out. the 16'' barrel is a bit on the short side for my liking but its how i got it so i will run with it for now, i never intend on this being a long range rifle but more of a nice compact carrying about rifle. and that hopfully it will give me the same poke as that of a full lenght barrel 7mm08 rifle but in a smaller compact unit.
    Name:  20180914_082259.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  774.7 KB
    Name:  20180912_143844.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  412.4 KB
    Name:  20180912_143827.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  404.1 KB
    Matt2308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    my recent purchase. only just started playing around with loads and it seems to like the 150 gamekings. but for some reason the more powder i put up it the groups blow out. the 16'' barrel is a bit on the short side for my liking but its how i got it so i will run with it for now, i never intend on this being a long range rifle but more of a nice compact carrying about rifle. and that hopfully it will give me the same poke as that of a full lenght barrel 7mm08 rifle but in a smaller compact unit.
    Attachment 95056
    Attachment 95057
    Attachment 95058
    What are your speeds like I have one in 7mm08 but I'm undesidered weather to ream or not.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    Attachment 95056
    Attachment 95057
    Attachment 95058
    Maybe try a bit faster powder like RL16. It seems to work on the 6.5CM well and could be a contender for the 284 with a short tube??
    rewa likes this.

i have no idea what the speeds are i dont have a chrono, ive loaded up a dozen more of the 53.5 rl17 and i will shoot 200 300 400m and work it out that way.