Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Long range shooting course

Long range shooting course

Seen this advertised in the lastest hunting mags Precision Shooting | Australia rifle training and Australian long range shooting , coming to nz in march. bloody expensive but looks magic. anyone else thinking of doing it or got any thoughts on it?

Nope

R93
    Nearly $2200 NZ to learn what you could by attending a couple LR shoots for peanuts put on by forum members? Trust me there is nothing you could learn off them that couldnt from forum members and attending a couple of shoots. Go to the Auckland gong shoot and you will be surprised what you will take away from it.
    You would either have been bluffed or have way too much money to attend that cse, my personal opinion of course.
    Dead is better likes this.

haha yea it is alot ...but i was just gathering some thoughts and opinions. in the process of putting together my own (first) LR rifle at the mo and saw that. thought it might accelerate learning or possibly be of interest to you guys. but maybe not hahaha. good to know that we got some volunteers to teach me too!!

lookn at your avatar you don't need a lot of teaching
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

R93
    I may not be much immediate help in the LR department but I could show ya how to dress an animal without getting blood all over yourself

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I may not be much immediate help in the LR department but I could show ya how to dress an animal without getting blood all over yourself
    haha depends where you shoot it i guess some deer are unco-operative ...

R93
    Na, unless gut shot it can still be done. But who cares really when a wash sorts it. It was important when working on machines not to get blood everywhere. It wasnt a good look if you had loopy's to do later on and it looked like you gutted an animal inside the machine. Which happened when you had a newbie on the job.
    Last edited by R93; 15-07-2012 at 12:49 AM.

R93
    Name:  965.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  3.1 KB

I hope it was only your hands. Oh! Sorry I forgot you dont live on the coast.
    Last edited by R93; 17-07-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Terminal Ballistics Research

He does similar shoots and at a fraction of the price! Dad and I are going with him at some point in spring
    ARdave likes this.

I love that guys website, it's all copy+paste from wikipedia calibre articles and articles that say like "hey bedding is the cause of all accuracy problems ever and also it's a service that we offer!"

Really , sounds like hype over substance , opps , Bad Chris .

Want to learn about LR shooting , just join & shoot your local NRA club , Opps , and donot expect to learn IT all in 2 days etc .
    Savage1 likes this.

LJP
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Nearly $2200 NZ to learn what you could by attending a couple LR shoots for peanuts put on by forum members? Trust me there is nothing you could learn off them that couldnt from forum members and attending a couple of shoots. Go to the Auckland gong shoot and you will be surprised what you will take away from it.
    You would either have been bluffed or have way too much money to attend that cse, my personal opinion of course.
    I made the mistake of attending an Auckland gong shoot - made some great friends, drooled over some nice gear, shot some of the nice gear, went from thinking 200yds is a long way to thinking 600yds is doable.......then bewarned have spent a shitload of money since Long range is addictive & very satisfying. R93 is on the right track.
    LegaSea likes this.

I like the advert for that course, think it went along the lines of "learn everything you need to know to hit a clay target with your 1st round at 1000m" or something like that.

So, I googled and came up with this:

Precision Shooting Canberra - Shooting.com.au

seems to be a positive write up... As others have said its a lot of money, so I will not be the one to write up the NZ course.
    ARdave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Depends how cold it is. Iv been in minus go knows what wind chill in a southerly and squabbled with a mate over who got to stick there hands inside the deer he shot. Deers insides are warm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Han-Solo
    And you thought they smelled bad on the outside.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt