Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LR day on the Coast

We went down to Greymouth on the 3rd, along with Tuiman, Hori, Red & Robo.
    The weather was a little too Coast like but thats how it goes, 1st time there has been a little too much liquid sunshine
    The Girls took some vids with their phones.

My GF had a go with the 416, it hits the steel with authority @ 865

The 98B was going well at 865 a good sub moa 6-7 shot group

Ashlee fired a few shots with the toys.

We set up on the long spot in the arvo but there was a "hunters" vehicle below where we were going to shoot so we had to change location
    We found another spot but time was moving on so the Chch party unfortunity had to go before we shot.
    It was 1300 yards but with the wind & the topography shooting was difficult & inconsistent, the windage was moving side to side between , interesting to the point of wasting ammo.
    We got a few hits but it was frustrating so we gave up & packed up.
    All in all another nice trip to the coast
    Looking forward to the next time

That cannon sure moves things about huh...

Yeah, cheers Tuiman for the opportunity to shoot LR again. I went away happy with my 7mmRM.
    Weather was traditional West Coast style, but i got more wet stomping on bushes to get a nice firing position...

Great day.......

Quote Originally Posted by Brennos View Post
    That cannon sure moves things about huh...
    208 grains of powder tends to do that at 3200 fps

AB Precision
    was a good day out an meet people again.

i did say was a clearing shower the sun came out an i got burnt in arvo

time to make some more toys

hands up who got smacked in the face with blast by the 416?

Out of curiosity, If I wanted to build a 338 lapua, what options would I have to build something, or would it be more cost effective for a newbie to buy a off the shelf gun, like a Remington 700 police in 338?

If buying off the shelf look at the new Savage 338 Lapua, less $ than the Rem 700P and same/better accuracy.

Out of curiosity, If I wanted to build a 338 lapua, what options would I have to build something, or would it be more cost effective for a newbie to buy a off the shelf gun, like a Remington 700 police in 338?

Maybe a little cheaper to get a Barnard, XLR Chassis, Trueflight barrel & chamber it in 338 Lapua, Norma.
    Or cheaper still build a 338 Edge on a 700 Action 26-30 barrel, great hunting rig .
    The 700p only has a 24" barrel thats too short & will never perform well with 300 grain pills.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Maybe a little cheaper to get a Barnard, XLR Chassis, Trueflight barrel & chamber it in 338 Lapua, Norma.
    Or cheaper still build a 338 Edge on a 700 Action 26-30 barrel, great hunting rig .
    The 700p only has a 24" barrel thats too short & will never perform well with 300 grain pills.
    Thats very solid truthful advise, from someone that is definately out there doing it.

Its interesting that Tracy Short, Kiwi Greg and Rocky Mountain all say the same thing,
    no doubt born from their extensive experience of hunting and shooting competitively at extreme long range.

Good to know, I'm only dreaming currently, but one day. Bernard stuff is NICE, nz made is a plus

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Yep, bout the only thing I would consider is if you are going to be carrying the rifle any sort of distance. If so, I would also look at the likes of a McMillan A5 Edge, quite a bit lighter than an XLR. Epoxy in an alloy bedding block in and you are away (for a single shot). Barnard also build a complete 338 repeater using their own chassis. A 338 Norma would be an easier option to build as a repeater due to the shorter OAL in this, as the HS Precision mags are a bit short for 300gr/LM combo's. If these shoot anything like the Model 07 it will be a winner.

sent from my phone... spelling could be average
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Impure Lead Flinger
    Y.a.w.n

What thickness are the steel gongs you guys use, we have just found a place that will allow us to shoot out to 600 meters, maybe even 800, so I said I would ask about the plates you guys use. The engineer of the group wants to use 25mm plates, that have been heat treated. Too thick?

What thickness are the steel gongs you guys use, we have just found a place that will allow us to shoot out to 600 meters, maybe even 800, so I said I would ask about the plates you guys use. The engineer of the group wants to use 25mm plates, that have been heat treated. Too thick?
    Too thick ? only if they are bigger than 100mm square !!!!

If you're on the flat, fine, but be bloody heavy if you have to cart them up or down the hill. . . ask Greg what happens if one gets away on ya !

LinkBacks (?)

1. 17-08-2012, 05:10 AM