Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My First Reloads

My First Reloads

I have just begun reloading and loaded my first loads for my 18" barrelled 7mm-08. I bought about 200 140gr 7mm projectiles off trade me with about 120 of them being hornady interlocks and the rest nosler bt's, so the noslers were the first I tried. To find the amount of powder to use I started at the min load of 38gr, then did a 39gr and stopped at 40gr where the pressure looked good but I didn't want to push it further.

I loaded these 4 seated at an oal of 2.75 inches with 40gr of Ar2206h. I used my neck sized once fired hornady brass.

Name:  P60323-194912.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  146.3 KB

These were the results at 100yards resting on my bag and jacket the same way I would shoot when taking a long shot hunting.

Name:  P60324-182309.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  189.2 KB

I pulled the last shot but other than that I was pretty happy, I don't think I will bother with ladder testing since I can't shoot much better than that.
    Now I just need to zero them for 200m and by doing this I will roughly calculate the velocity.
    P38, 308 and Gibo like this.

I remember my first hand loads, only things that have topped that feeling was building my first AR and holding my new born son.

PS, don't be hung up on the OAL, its more important on the jump to the rifling distance. But most times I just load to fit the mag.
    dave-m likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Looks bloody deadly mate

R93
    Well done. You will appreciate it even more when you tip something over with them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    northdude likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Nice work, those hand tools turn out ammo as well as anything, just slower.
    Micky Duck likes this.

awesome! yeah shooting your first animal with them will also be a buzz.

P38
    Good work @MDub

Just remember First comes Fascination ................................. followed quickly by Addiction.

Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Reloader.

Cheers
    Pete

BTW:

You'll shortly be getting an uncontrollable urge to buy lots more reloading gear......... Best just go with it ..... It's better that way.
    gadgetman, R93, Beaker and 3 others like this.

good start, guys I know shooting 308s are pushing 155s with 44.5g of 2206 so dont be afraid to go faster as your projectile will maintain its trajectory at longer distances with more velocity.

northdude
    your on the right track just keep it simple

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    your on the right track just keep it simple
    That's right.
    That group is just fine. No need to experiment further at this stage. Just sight it in, test it at longer and shorter ranges and use it.

You won't get much leverage to estimate your MV from the trajectory at 200m. I'll bet your group will be 11 to 13 cm low at 200 if it's spot on at 100. You can't measure closer than your group size. As long as you plug in something between 2700 and 2850 fps you'll be right. Don't try to shoot a deer further than you've shot on paper. At 250m you will be about 22cm low if you use a 100m zero, so take that into account if you're not sure of the range. Not many people can tell the difference between 150 and 250 - not me anyway ! Comparing experts best guess to the truth from a laser range finder is hilarious. Another must do is to check at a close range like 10m and see where it goes. You could be surprised how many cm low it is.

Fear and in trepidation first trigger pull!
    stumpy and Ryan_Songhurst like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Fear and in trepidation first trigger pull!
    My first reloads I was so scared when I pulled the trigger for the first time, I had checked and double checked I had done everything right but you just second guess yourself a lot at that stage! Next thing you know I was hooked! I actually find it kind of therapeutic, if its been a rough week its nice just sitting at the bench and reading some manuals or some discussions on different forums with the ipad and loading up some ammunition!
    foxhound, Beaker and 300CALMAN like this.

My first ever batch of 20 reloads had a few hang fires and couple didn't go off. Lying behind the gun thinking WTF.. Turns out to much in a hurry for the next stage and didn't COMPLETELY dry the cases after being thru the ultra sonic cleaner and a few were damp.... Lesson learned there... Removed the bullets and tipped the powder out in clumps to confirm what I thought had happened.

northdude
    I always take my time if it looks like I'll have to rush I don't bother and if I'm reloading that's all I'm doing I'm not watching TV or some other shit at the same time you need to concentrate on what your doing its a rather large explosion that's happening right beside your head and your first fuk up my be your last
    Micky Duck likes this.

if you sight her in to be say 2-2 1/2" high at 100yards it will be handier/better for you out to about 250 as projectile will/should still fall within your desired vital zone, great job on first reloads.