Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 2 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By Feebz

Thread: New Shooter

New Shooter

The build

Well after a lot of chat around the camp fire so to speak and reading of articles on Supa Bush Pigs it was decided that some changes in the gun cabinet were due. Currently all in Tikka .223, 708 and 7RM. I was looking into changing my 18 inch 708 into a 284 but with all the uncertainty of you should get this it might do that I went off the idea as my 708 is a shooter and didn’t want to fark with it, At that stage I went off the idea, Then Craig got all buildy on me and had an action and barrel on its way for a make over. Now not to be one to miss out on what the Joneses are doing I had another think about it. I couldn’t justify starting from scratch so a plan was hatched. Sell or trade my 7RM for a 708 22 inch barrel, get that bugga reamed out to 284, swap scope, suppressor, set trigger and laminated scope to the new gun and all done. Sell all my 7RM gear and get what I needed for the 284.

In talking to a couple of people about what i was doing and with what bits and bobs a decision was to be made. While plenty of smiths were happy to ream out Tikka barrels some were not and with the ones that do they sometimes have some that just end up as paper weights and you have to start again. Now the percentage is a lot higher towards the it should work V not work so I decided to bite the bullet. I took the Tikka barrel off and sold it for $250 (cheap maybe but in the end it was better that a paper weight) instead putting on a True flite match barrel in 24’ so getting longer than the 708 22’.

After selling all the gear I didn’t need, buying the new gear, barrel, gunsmith work etc I have been able to complete the whole build with new barrel for $100. Now this will keep her in doors happy.

So here it is
    Name:  P1040661.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  1.08 MB

Tikka T3 action (708), True Flite Match Barrel 24’, Dan Hardy Mag Can gen 4, Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44, Boyd Laminated stock shooting 168g Berger classic hunter with 53G of AR2209 going 2755FPS. Was looking to try some new powder (IMR 7977) but still not got it sorted, in the mean time I am happy with this. The group is a 6 shot group, The high one on a cold clean barrel and the cluster the next 5 shots with no rest between shots.
    Name:  P1040660.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  989.1 KB

And first bloods, Massive pig at 280m and Goat at 100m, only need a redskin to complete the trifecta
    Name:  P1040603.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  1.09 MBName:  P1040604.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  1.08 MB

Hamish
    puku, jakewire, veitnamcam and 4 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Your lucky you had enough power to kill that grunter!
    Looks the goods and also shoots. What else could a man want....
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

What was it about the 7mm magnum you didn't like? Noise? Recoil?

The reason I ask is that you've essentially recreated the same setup in terms of length/weight performance (almost) to save a few grains of powder and a tiny bit of recoil?

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice setup!

Mainly recoil, this shoots way nicer than the 7rm. The RM had laminated stock and limbsaver but this stock has not and it still shoots nicer, yeah I lost about 100m of knock down if you use the 1000ftlbs. But what's 100m. So yeah and it only cost me 100 to do it so why not

Hamish

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

GWH
    Good stuff Hamish, looks like it came out good!

Blood neat cartridge eh, its ballistic ability with heavy-ish pills is surprising good (and far batter than the loading manuals indicate) when bullets are seated out nice and long. Ive been keen on the 284 for a few years now, and was ready to press go on a 284 build a couple of years back, but a Mod 7 in 7mm SAUM came up far cheaper than cost to build which i couldnt resist, and it was a shooter so happy as with that.

When Kimjon listed his M595 284 for sale the other day, i also could resist ;-) Ive just started playing with loads for it using the Amax. Ive seated nice and long @ just under 3.2" QL tells me that 59.5gr of 7828ssc will push the 162g at 2930fps from the 22.5" tube. Havnt shot the ladder test yet, chrony didnt like the low light conditions yesterday morning so i aborted.

I'll let you know how the 7828ssc goes.

Your tikka looks good in that laminated stock.
    HNTMAD likes this.

ebf
    scary looking boar dude
    Blaser and HNTMAD like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Me, Fern (the dog) and a mate took my new long range rig for a walk, shot this at 160m so now it has seen goat, pig and deer, next is some long range gongs to test the drop chart

Name:  P1040679.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  1.15 MB
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Nice setup and I can see the benefits of it over the 7mm RM.
    HNTMAD likes this.

you gotta like that grouping ! Well done Hamish.
    Grant turns out some great barrels & smithy work.
    What's the weight on the bare rifle ?
    What's contour barrel did u go for ?

Can't remember bare rifle weight, but basically same as my tikka rem MAG was. At end of day it was not about the weight. Just gotta find some time to shoot a long range gong to verify loading etc

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz