Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 15 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By LookingForMauser
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Sapper
  • 2 Post By Kiwi Sapper

Thread: New shooting range policy?

New shooting range policy?

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I'm living in Auckland. I was trying to book a visit(rifle shooting) to Waiuku pistol club for myself and my mate(with no FAL). But the answer was "all people shooting on the range are required to have a FAL" and "to satisfy NZ police requirements". Does it mean that you can't shoot at any shooting range in the country without FAL even if you accompanied by a licensed shooter? All kids/teenagers are not allowed to shoot at shooting ranges as well?

Visited WPC in November last year with an unlicensed person and didn't have any problems at all and seen a lot of shooting kids out there.

How are you gonna introduce other people to shooting if you can't even go to the shooting range and give it a go? Now you need to go through the whole firearms licensing process before you can even try it out?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    No, I think that is just a bunch of bollocks. That said, if the club and more importantly the committee dictate that for their range then I guess they have that individual right. My assessment is that clubs are worried what the future might hold and are trying not to do anything that will be seen as wrong or that will jeopardise their longevity. My view is that clubs should be doing as much as they can to increase members and attract people from all walks of life into shooting sports and that particularly includes those without an FAL. What better place to introduce someone to shooting than at a range with experienced club members that can supervise the initial handling of firearms and instil safety from the get go.
    mikee, mayfly, Nick-D and 12 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I just spent some fruitless minutes on the page below. Don't see anything about needing a FAL for rifle shooting, could you have a look yourself through the other pages of the site and come back on that?

https://waiukupistolclub.org.nz/what...ontherange.php
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I just spent some fruitless minutes on the page below. Don't see anything about needing a FAL for rifle shooting, could you have a look yourself through the other pages of the site and come back on that?

https://waiukupistolclub.org.nz/what...ontherange.php
    They send me an e-mail saying "You cant book a visit. All shooters are required to have a FAL ..." and so on. And yeah, it's one of the biggest problems of most shooting ranges - their websites are out of date for at least a couple of years.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I just spent some fruitless minutes on the page below. Don't see anything about needing a FAL for rifle shooting, could you have a look yourself through the other pages of the site and come back on that? https://waiukupistolclub.org.nz/what...ontherange.php
    HINT OF THE DAY>

Hold down the CTRL key and then hit the F key to produce a search window in the top right hand corner of the screen, I did, typed in FAL which produced this.

As a club member, you are entitled to bring 2 guests to the range, but only 1 guest may shoot at a tim"e. You must supervise them at all times, irrespective of whether they have a FAL."

Typing in LICENCE produced

If they do not hold a B licence, they may only shoot .22 pistols under your direct supervision at arm’s length.

Seventenths likes this.

Oh, and I forgot the rule. There is one overpowering rule...........It's their football, so if you want to play, then it's their rules.
    Seventenths and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    HINT OF THE DAY>

Hold down the CTRL key and then hit the F key to produce a search window in the top right hand corner of the screen, I did, typed in FAL which produced this.

As a club member, you are entitled to bring 2 guests to the range, but only 1 guest may shoot at a tim"e. You must supervise them at all times, irrespective of whether they have a FAL."

Typing in LICENCE produced

If they do not hold a B licence, they may only shoot .22 pistols under your direct supervision at arm’s length.

Yes, as I said, naught about all rifle shooters being required to hold a FAL.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

i think the problem here is , you are trying to 'book a visit' that's usually on the saturdays with the RO in charge, the RO may not like anyone shooting without a fal. but if are a member you can bring any two in wed to sun without booking.