Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Nice surprise from an old girl

Dont know why we always seem to refer to our rifles as females, but what the hell.
    About 6 months ago a mate was rumagging around in his shed and came up with a battered and torn 303. He promptly chucked it at me saying in no uncertain terms that it had seen better days and I may as well have it to play with...for FREE.
    Unfortunately he had long since lost the original bolt, but I already had a 303 that was only good as a donor so thought I should see what I could do.
    Got a guy to check out the headspace as I had been advised, and he was happy that the donor bolt was good to go. I stripped the old girl down and basically gave her a bloody good seeing too. Barrel looked all good apart from some very minor pitting on the outside, but given that the date stamp said 1917, I wasnt too surprised at that.
    After a re-blue and oil up of the stock, I put her back together, better than when I got her .Popped iout to what passes for a range up here this morning, and after 3 remote test shots with a string on the trigger and me hiding behind a DOC dunny, I took a few shots at target aprox 80/90 meters away on a sand bank.Having never in my life fired anything with iron sights, I wasnt expecting to be on paper, but was pleasantly surprised with my effort
    Name:  303 001.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  434.9 KB
    I only had 6 rounds with me and they were cheapo Highland 150 gn. I think I could get to like this rifle. Time to get tweaking her I think.
    Name:  303 005.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  448.2 KB

Always good to see an oldie taken care of, looks good
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

ebf
    Very nice Pengy, good effort

What product did you use for glueing ? Any tips/tricks you can pass on ? I'm about to reblue a barrel that's been sanded down.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I used Birchwood casey Perma blue paste from Re loaders. It is a simple process, with reasonable results, but not as good as the real deal.
    Just noticed that my first pic didnt come up too good. I only took 3 shots at the wood target. 1st hit is the one clearly seen. The other two are just out of the frame, but hit aprox 2>3 inches outside of the circle. From what I have been led to believe, these old 303`s can be very picky when it comes to amo, so I will grab a few different weights and makes to try out asap.
    Any suggestions are welcome. I dont even know how to use the open sight properly. I am guessing you just set the ramp to read off at whatever distance you think you are shooting at , but this would be calibrated in yards, and most likely for a specific bullet type???
    Last edited by Pengy; 29-07-2013 at 08:42 PM.