Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A place around Christchurch to sight in my rifle

A place around Christchurch to sight in my rifle

Hi guys
    I have just bought 2 new rifles and was wondering if anyone had a rural piece of land around chch where I could sight in my rifles at 100m? Payment in beers and if I ever shoot a deer some meat! Otherwise I will stump up the 200 bucks for the handloaders association which would be ok as I could go there to shoot whenever I think, has anyone had any experience with their range? cheers

Go to North Canterbury Deer Stalkers Association public range day.Look up their web site.theyd help you out,sight in at 50yds then 100 yds.Cost you $20-$25.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Depending on your needs the suggestion made by @Trout is a really good one. If you are needing to sight in a rifle with factory ammo in order to get out in the hills hunting then you can certainly do that at the NZDA public days.

The NZHA (Handloaders) range also has public shoots every Tuesday night on the 100m rifle range. It's a great way to check out the facility and chat to some club members to see how things work. If you are going to head down the reloading path then having access to the range at any time is very useful.
    Trout and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Canty Newbie View Post
    Hi guys
    I have just bought 2 new rifles and was wondering if anyone had a rural piece of land around chch where I could sight in my rifles at 100m? Payment in beers and if I ever shoot a deer some meat! Otherwise I will stump up the 200 bucks for the handloaders association which would be ok as I could go there to shoot whenever I think, has anyone had any experience with their range? cheers
    Handloaders has two rifle ranges
    The 100 yard range which also supports 25, 50 and 75 yards and a separate 200 yard range.
    Once you are a member you can access the range almost any time - except when the range is booked or undergoing maintenance.

It is value for money for me as a place to test loads and ensure a scope is zeroed correctly.

It would be up to you to determine if would be value for you.
    timattalon and Steelisreal like this.

Where are both of those ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Where are both of those ranges?
    The NZDA range and clubrooms and the Handloaders range are next-door to each other on McLeans Island Road:

New Zealand Handloaders Association
    03-359 8832
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/ANtPsWCfRYbLetYJ7

DBD
    Pm me, I can help
    Trout, Bill999, timattalon and 2 others like this.

Tuesday is Public night at the Handloaders Range, 7-10pm $20 and bring your FAL
    Boxton likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Sounds like you have more flexy range hours at Hand Loaders,good luck and shoot straight.

Is there option to run rounds over a chronograph at those public nights or nah. Also anyone know if nzda public days will do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
    Is there option to run rounds over a chronograph at those public nights or nah. Also anyone know if nzda public days will do the same?
    You woukd want to be using labradar or magnetospeed as will be too dark for standard chronies to give reliable results. Also not generally keen on setting up standard type on public nights due to setup time and disruption

NZDA has a lab-radar.

On the sighting in subject.
    I saw at least 3x trucks up on the coleridge to lake lyndon road on Sat morning sighting their rifles in. They are risking losing their licences. DOC's Kingsley has specifically said the DOC hunting permit is explicitly for hunting, and does not mean sighting in rifles.
    When pressed at the NZDA meeting, about someone for example dropping their rifle on a hunt and doing a sighting to check its ok, he said that this makes sense but going specifically to Lake Lyndon to sight in rifles did not follow the reason for the permit.
    He said he will prosecute anyone found doing so on public land off that road because of the number of trampers who use the area.

Still even more ill planned when someone has their company sign writing on the doors of the ute.
    timattalon likes this.

If DOC were smart they should just fence off a safe spot up there for sighting in and be done with it.
    Trout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    If DOC were smart they should just fence off a safe spot up there for sighting in and be done with it.
    but we know otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    but we know otherwise
    @Carbine Yes we do unfortunately