Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By deepsouthaussie
  • 2 Post By R93
  • 3 Post By R93
  • 2 Post By Desert Rat
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem

Thread: Prone bipod shooting

Prone bipod shooting

USMC Fundamentals long range shooting intruction by Caylen Wojcik: https://youtu.be/weBuYmnpg38

Some good stuff here..
    R93, JRW87 and Desert Rat like this.

R93
    It doesn't matter how much shooting you do. A refresher of the basic fundamentals covered in this video is never old.

Getting someone who knows what they are doing to watch you shoot can iron out issues you didn't know you had is always helpful.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    BRADS and JRW87 like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Im shooting a .270 with 22inches of barrel I find I get a bit more hop then any of the long range tactical shooters I've watched. Is that most likely because of the sporters length and powder still burning on the way out? Or more technique @R93

R93
    I am not conventinal to modern tecniques when it comes to shooting off a bipod.
    I can not load mine like they do because my forend is not rigid enough. If I load it too much I have problens.
    I let the rifle recoil but I get next to no jump if my position is right.
    If your position is setup and confirmed everytime like described in the video without the loading of the bipod you will notice the rifle pushes back in a straight line allowing a good follow thru. If not, and it jumps off at an angle or completely off target your position needs addressing.
    I find by raising my profile higher than what is taught and allowing my shoulder pocket aim the rifle in a sense I get better results.
    So many people do not know how to completely relax when breaking a shot.
    They get away with it time and again but it will always catch them eventually.

I try to release the shot on a relaxed, full exhale, the cross hair normally settles on POA after a full exhale and then break the shot within the first couple seconds before my pulse becomes an issue.
    There is a lot to be taken from this video.
    If followed to the letter you can't go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Definitely, I've only been shooting a few years now but find videos like this very helpful. I try and keep the whole setup process as natural and relaxed as possible..Then try complete a wee checklist before finding my point of aim and slinging lead. But in saying that I have been loading my bipod and my forend certainly not Aluminum! Might play around with that next shoot.

The marksmanship principles I was taught as a boy soldier in the British Army many years ago cover everything in this video.

1- The position and hold should be firm enough to support the weapon.
    2- The weapon should point naturally at the target without any physical effort.
    3- Sight alignment (aiming) should be correct.
    4- The shot should be released and followed through without any disturbance to the position.

Can't believe I still remember this stuff!!
    If the enemy is in range, so are you!

Some very good points there. Hopefully I can remember them next time I go shooting.

You mention a shorter Barrel in a light stock , I perhaps ran into this shooting my supersonic 300AAC rounds Sunday in the new Ruger ranch and it highlighted some issues I'd become complacent around. What I found was I'd Stabilised the action with some of Nathan's compound the previous Friday and started off shooting it off the bench and caldwell "the rock" rest and cross armed as I normally do with my 7mm remmy and 223 with very little issue. This I thought it was spraying it a bit much for my liking (and the groups wider than hoped) at 100m so applied a hand to the side of the scope on the rest and also tried holding the fore-end witha sling and hey presto she tightened right back up.

Hmmm just shows how you can develop some bad habits when you fall in to some shooting styles and change of a rifle can bring all those to the fore. Went back to shooting the other two using this technique and shot same if not better so there's always an opportunity to improve with these things and I'd obviously got complacent. I'm not kidding I thought for a mo my scope was loose on the 300 its was so all over the place and inconsistent.

In case anyone's interested Nathan has a good article around this (of course!!) Hold that Forend!

cheers
    deepsouthaussie likes this.