Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Prone Position Technique

Prone Position Technique

Hey Guys,

I have seen some people, when shooting from prone position, they lie on their back facing the sky, then flip over 180 degrees with stomach to the ground. Whats the point behind doing that, compared to just straight going to prone position?

Do they have beards?

Ive seen this too and wondered about it. Mind you the first time was a movie (Jack Reacher) where he is at the range with a "gunny". Seeing as they expect me to believe Tom Curise is 6ft 6 and a walking wall of muscle I dicn't put much stock into believing his technique.....
    madjon_, Steve123 and 223nut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I have seen some people, when shooting from prone position, they lie on their back facing the sky, then flip over 180 degrees with stomach to the ground.

....who?

If I knew them well enough to know their name I would have just asked them the question lol, was at the Howick shooting range though, if that helps

I think a few of the shooters at Howick are members of the Olympic team aren't they?

Banned
    Sounds like weirdos to me.
    Gibo and Frodo like this.

The Original Striker
    are they using bipod/rests as in F-open/FTR or are they jacketed and slinged up as in TR class? Ive seen that move to sling up a few years back
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Ive seen this too and wondered about it. Mind you the first time was a movie (Jack Reacher) where he is at the range with a "gunny". Seeing as they expect me to believe Tom Curise is 6ft 6 and a walking wall of muscle I dicn't put much stock into believing his technique.....
    When I heard that shortarse had been cast,I thought,I'll never read another Jack Reacher novel.
    mikee, kidmac42 and 223nut like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    When I heard that shortarse had been cast,I thought,I'll never read another Jack Reacher novel.
    It was a disappointment to us all Madjon.
    WallyR likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

maybe its how they get thier heart beat under control or might have back problems and its a way to straighten it out
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Sure, but if he was not going to be Reacher, the movies would not be made as he has the movie rights. The first movie was surprisingly OK but the second was a bit of a dud. I am yet to see a movie do full justice to a book it was taken from, but if you want examples of movies "from" books that were worse, try Stephen Kings "Lawnmower man". (Read the book then see the movie.) The only thing the same between them was the title....Even the concept was different. Another was Running man also by Stephen King. So much was changed for the movie it is really just the original concept that was used. Story line, theme, location, characters, and mood were all vastly different.

Back to topic, I too would like to know if this method has any advantage over normal prone set up or why they do it.

As a long time prone shooter in both Fullbore and Smallbore I am not familiar with that “technique” for “assuming” the position.

Have been out of Smallbore for a while now so maybe it is something new although I doubt it. On some of the Smallbore mounds there is not a lot of room between shooters and there wouldn’t be room for those antics.

Have many books written by Olympian shooters and have not seen the method described. Most recent one is Ways Of The Rifle and nix there.

Suggest it is stylised off the movies – gansta move? Does the same shooter also have a scope with a ridiculous reticle as only seen in movies?

Might also be a Howick/Auckland ‘thing”.

Okay browsed the Internet, found this as a possible answer

"When I'm prone, using a military style target sling, it's easier to roll to my left side, get my arm, sling, rifle and hand situated and then roll to my right into shooting position. This is a typical thing for right handed shooters. When you've used a sling the way it's meant to be used you'll realize IT"S NOT A TACTICAL MANEUVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys need to experience what shooting really is and quit thinking that EVERYTHING Hollywierd is Tacticool and discover what real shooting discipline is."
    Source: https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/g...osition-4.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Okay browsed the Internet, found this as a possible answer

Source: https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/g...osition-4.html
    Ha ha fair enough.
    Nowadays 99% of prone shooters would use a single point sling rather than the old 2 point sling. The single point sling is permanently attached to your jacket high on your arm. The other end has a quick connect/detach fitting that is used to clip into your front hand stop usually as you kneel on your mat just b4 laying down. The last thing I would want to do once down was roll to my side. I used to then unclip my sling once finished shooting, put the rifle to one side on its attached bipod all b4 getting up.

And with the old military 2 point slings the shooting jackets usually had a hook stitched into the upper urm to keep the sling from slipping down whilst you laid down with the rifle.

Sporting rifle events however may not use either of these slings and use possible the rifle carrying sling in which case some rolling around may be the way to get it positioned.