Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Question about Equivalent Horizontal Range (as Leica call it)

  1. #1
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    942

    Question about Equivalent Horizontal Range (as Leica call it)

    Can someone please verify i am going to go about this correctly?

    My rifle and range card are set up for shooting at a roughly horizontal target. Sorted and works well.

    My Leica R/F 1600b is set up for my rifle data (as close as possible) and has Equivalent Horizontal Range (EHr) which takes into account the incline/decline of a shot. When ranging a target it shows firstly the Actual Distance and secondly the shows EHr

    If taking a shot in a significant incline/decline scenario - I take the EHr range shown on my r/f and use that distance on my range card to adjust my scope? Not the actual distance.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,471
    correct

  3. #3
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,528
    spot on

  4. #4
    Ex stick thrower madjon_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond. Tasman.and Oz
    Posts
    2,802
    Millett - Resources
    Shooting tips.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

  5. #5
    Rabbit Herder StrikerNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    1,225
    And here's a gnarly one...

    While the EHR/True Ballistic Range has an effect on the gravitational pull and therefore drop of the bullet.. to my understanding your wind drift should still be calculated against the actual distance.

    Tested this out on shooter and appears to be correct.
    LOC likes this.

  6. #6
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    And here's a gnarly one...

    While the EHR/True Ballistic Range has an effect on the gravitational pull and therefore drop of the bullet.. to my understanding your wind drift should still be calculated against the actual distance.

    Tested this out on shooter and appears to be correct.
    Yep because winddrift is because of time of flight which is the actual distance covered.

  7. #7
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    942
    great thanks guys, trying to avoid a disastrous f*ck up with the new r/f in hand....

  8. #8
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,938
    There is one problem (actually two) with this with 1600b. When it gives you the EHR it also is calculating in temp and pressure into the corrected distance figure.

    While initially I thought this was pretty awesome. I actually don't like it at all. And you cannot turn off the function of it taking temp and pressure into account in the EHR corrected range.

    If you keep the range finder in your chest pocket for example the temp reading will be quite incorrect. Apparantly it can take up to 30 minutes for the temp to stablise.

    To get a technically better ballistic solution you need to be dealing with raw data. I now just use the actual line of sight range, then press the other button and get the angle. Then enter those and the temp and pressure figures into shooter app on phone. Then you know where you are and that you know that your come up will be more correct.

    Of course you can test on the hill to see if you are getting the same come ups using both methods.




    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum and Puffin like this.

  9. #9
    Member HNTMAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    There is one problem (actually two) with this with 1600b. When it gives you the EHR it also is calculating in temp and pressure into the corrected distance figure.

    While initially I thought this was pretty awesome. I actually don't like it at all. And you cannot turn off the function of it taking temp and pressure into account in the EHR corrected range.

    If you keep the range finder in your chest pocket for example the temp reading will be quite incorrect. Apparantly it can take up to 30 minutes for the temp to stablise.

    To get a technically better ballistic solution you need to be dealing with raw data. I now just use the actual line of sight range, then press the other button and get the angle. Then enter those and the temp and pressure figures into shooter app on phone. Then you know where you are and that you know that your come up will be more correct.

    Of course you can test on the hill to see if you are getting the same come ups using both methods.




    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Have you done the calcs on exactly how much the temp changes the MOA between say 15 and 30 degrees?? Bugger all in my. 284 at 500m but for temp diff of 15 v 35 degree there is a 16inch drop diff at 1000m

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HNTMAD; 23-03-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

  10. #10
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Have you done the calcs on exactly how much the temp changes the MOA between say 15 and 30 degrees??

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    That's not really the point mate. You already have a temp allowance and pressure allowance in shooter. So if the range finder is also taking these things into account in the corrected range, how do you deal with the inputs in shooter?

    Entering raw data into ballistic app is the only real way you have proper control of what you get out.

    Several small errors add up.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Member HNTMAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    That's not really the point mate. You already have a temp allowance and pressure allowance in shooter. So if the range finder is also taking these things into account in the corrected range, how do you deal with the inputs in shooter?

    Entering raw data into ballistic app is the only real way you have proper control of what you get out.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Totally agree about raw data, have edited my original post.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

  12. #12
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Have you done the calcs on exactly how much the temp changes the MOA between say 15 and 30 degrees?? Bugger all in my. 284 at 500m but for temp diff of 15 v 35 degree there is a 16inch drop diff at 1000m

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, and it's not hard to have an ambient temp of say 5 degree c, and say 37 degree c (body temp) if range finder in the chest pocket of your shirt. Therefore an even larger error.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,717
    So this is foreign to a black powder shooter, but I take it with all this HI Tech gear you only get one hole in your target and save on paper and hence the planet?
    Steve123 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  14. #14
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    So this is foreign to a black powder shooter, but I take it with all this HI Tech gear you only get one hole in your target and save on paper and hence the planet?
    No holes in paper ;-) Just bullet splash's on the paint on the steel gong plates ;-) ...... oh and holes in deerz

  15. #15
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    There is one problem (actually two) with this with 1600b. When it gives you the EHR it also is calculating in temp and pressure into the corrected distance figure.

    While initially I thought this was pretty awesome. I actually don't like it at all. And you cannot turn off the function of it taking temp and pressure into account in the EHR corrected range.

    If you keep the range finder in your chest pocket for example the temp reading will be quite incorrect. Apparantly it can take up to 30 minutes for the temp to stablise.

    To get a technically better ballistic solution you need to be dealing with raw data. I now just use the actual line of sight range, then press the other button and get the angle. Then enter those and the temp and pressure figures into shooter app on phone. Then you know where you are and that you know that your come up will be more correct.

    Of course you can test on the hill to see if you are getting the same come ups using both methods.




    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Just set shooter to the standard atmospherics, 1013mb not sure what the temp will be, but will be on the internet somewhere.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Leica Range finder
    By Philipo in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-09-2015, 02:46 PM
  2. Wtb Leica range Finder
    By Freezer in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 12:29 PM
  3. Leica CRF1000-R range finder new $800
    By llewelyn in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 03:33 PM
  4. Leica Range Finder WTB
    By kiwijames in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-05-2013, 08:23 PM
  5. NEW LEICA CRF 1600-B range finder
    By 300MAG in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!